Chapter Twenty Seven

SCARLETT'S POV

The present...

Sarah would let out a nervous laugh every once in a while. She was too anxious for her own good. I was super chill, on the other hand. We were sometimes a little bit more opposite for my liking, but that's why we fit together like puzzle pieces.

We've both been hanging out at the rooftop. It was beautiful up here. I checked my watch. 8 o'clock. The show was starting in a few minutes. I couldn't see the point. I'd disappoint everyone. If it wasn't for my diagnosis, I would've enthusiastically gone up the stage a few minutes earlier than the start of the gig, as usual. But, not tonight. Knowing I had advance cancer didn't really make me feel up for anything. Wow, cancer and depression? How lucky. 

I hadn't noticed how Sarah disappeared. She probably talked to everyone about the situation already. I didn't really care. I just stood there, watching the city lights and skyline. 

A few minutes passed and Sarah reappeared. "They were really worried at first, but then they saw the doll and figured everything out." She announced.

I could imagine their faces. I smirked, "Oh well. I guess it's time to go back." I changed my mind. Maybe this was the opportunity to tell everyone. Nobody knew, but their curiosities were piqued by my weakness and frequent blackouts. Should I have consulted Riley first? Maybe. Maybe not. 

***

"No more pranks, alright?" Riley warned sternly.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, dad." 

The show had to be delayed for like, thirty minutes because of my genius idea. The cops weren't all too pleased. Riley was furious, 'because of the negative PR' he kept saying. But, any kind of PR is good PR, right? I was so right. I peeked through the curtains from backstage and the arena was packed! Perfect.

1...

2...

3...

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say good-bye
But the dawn is breaking, it's early morn
The taxi's waiting He's blowing his horn
Already I'm so lonesome I could die
So kiss me and smile for me, tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh, babe, I hate to go

There's so many times I've let you down
So many times I've played around
I tell you now they don't mean a thing
Every place I go I'll think of you
Every song I sing I'll sing for you
When I come back, I'll bring your wedding ring
So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh, babe, I hate to go

Now the time has come to leave you
One more time let me kiss you
Then close your eyes, I'll be on my way
Dream about the days to come when I won't have to leave alone
About the times I won't have to say
Kiss me and smile for me, tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh, babe, I hate to go
I'm leaving on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh, babe, I hate to go

I performed an acoustic rendition of Leaving On A Jet Plane by John Denver and the crowd went wild. Here goes nothing.

"Thank you all so much for coming tonight," I started. "But I have to tell you something." No one made a sound. "I've been diagnosed with advance cancer." Everyone was shocked. A few seconds later, people were sobbing. "I'm sorry to say this here and ruin your night. But I hope someday you'll forgive me. This will be my last show. Thank you for all the love and support you've given me and the band." I looked at the band and saw Sarah peeking through the curtains. I mouthed 'I love you' and she mouthed back, 'I love you too'. Tears were streaming down her face. Even the band was crying. "It's been a wonderful journey for me. But some journeys have to end. And one of those journey's mine. Now I'm not sure what will happen in the future, but I'm sure tonight we're all gonna have fun, alright?" Everybody cheered. "Alright! Let's get into it!"

And just like that, the night went on. 

***

SARAH'S POV

Scar fought hard, but it was too late. She made a YouTube account and announced who she really was. She explained everything, why she did what she did, why she became Brandon and what happened the past few months. People became angry, devastated but some were happy for her for coming out. I was happy for her. Wherever she may be, I know she's happy. 

I looked at the sky and swore that I saw her face, smiling down at me.

***

A/N
Don't hate me! I didn't know how else to end the book. Thank you so much again to everyone who has read the book the past ten years. I can't believe all the reads this book has gained over the years. I hope you guys give comments and votes! Thanks again!