Pierre Gasly-Can I still do this?

"I can't do this anymore Elissa" I cried to my best friend after leaving the hospital. My boyfriend, Pierre Gasly, had a massive crash during qualifying at the Australian GP and had to go to hospital.

Past

I met Pierre two years ago at Silverstone. For my 21st birthday my dad bought my best friend and I VIP tickets for the Silverstone Grand Prix. It meant that we could go into the Toro Rosso hospitality areas and that's when I first met Pierre. Elissa and I went to every race that season so I ended up spending a lot more time with him throughout the season. After the last race of the season Pierre finally asked me to be his girlfriend and it had been going well for the entire of the next season.

Pierre managed to avoid having any major crashes for the entirety of the last season. But his luck hasn't been quite as good this season. Even during pre-season testing the team could tell there was something off with the car. The team changed its name to Alfa Tauri but that isn't the problem. Pierre keeps telling his engineer that the whole car 'just feels off'.

When we arrived in Australia we could tell they hadn't been able to fix the car. Pierre had a decent practice 1 but it all started to go wrong in the next two sessions. In qualifying Pierre suddenly lost control of the car and he went flying into the wall at the end of the longest straight on the track.

Elissa had been watching the qualifying at that part of the track but I was in the pits. I phoned her immediately but they wouldn't tell her what was wrong. Pierre didn't get out of the car and I knew that wasn't good. The session was red flagged so I sprinted from the pit box to his car so I could go with him in the ambulance.

Elissa made her own way to the hospital and she found me crying in the waiting room. The doctors weren't sure what was wrong with him but they had taken him into an emergency surgery to try and find out.

The last time I was inside a hospital was the day my brother died. He was involved in a multi vehicle pile up as he was driving to pick me up from school 7 years ago. It was the worst day of my life and I prayed I would never be in the same situation ever again.

I knew the risks of the sport when I started dating Pierre, I've watched the sport my entire life. I was at Donington when Billy Monger had his crash in Formula 4, I was watching the race the day Jules Bianchi had his crash. I knew what could happen to Pierre but I never thought it actually would.

Pierre just came out of surgery and I spoke to his doctor. She told me that he had been incredibly lucky, he broke a few bones and had a concussion but apart from that he was fine. However I couldn't help thinking to myself, can I do this? Was I able to be with someone who competes in one of the most dangerous sports?

When Pierre woke up he was very quiet. I could tell he was in incredible amounts of pain and it hurt me to see him like that. Did I love him too much? Can I bear to do this again? Every crash he has I'll be sat there waiting for him in the hospital. After a few hours Elissa and I decided we would leave for the night and return the next morning.

As we walked out of the hospital doors it all hit me. "I can't do this anymore Elissa!" I cried into her arms and she helped me into her car.

"You can do it y/n. You love him and you'd do anything for that man."

I can do this. I love him and will always be here for him!