Surprise

I came home late in the evening, after dinner with Jason and Rina. Today has been full of surprises and it's only Monday. I dared to turn my phone on and was surprised to see no missing texts and calls from James. I smile, hoping he finally let me go. But the smile soon vanishes when I see how many missed calls I have from Mister Haynes.

Should I call him? I look at the clock and my eyes widen. It's almost midnight, I shouldn't. I shake my head and walk into the shower. After the shower, I quickly put my pajama on and lay down in bed. Normally I would blow dry my hair, because I didn't want my pillow to get wet, but I'm too tired. Also, my ribs still hurt whenever I try to move my arms over my head.

I jerk up in bed at the sound of my doorbell. I silently walk down the stairs, which doesn't make sense, since the lights in my room are still turned on, so whoever is behind the front door knows I'm home. I just hope it's not James.

I'm surprised when I see Mister Haynes standing there after looking through the peep hole. He looks impatient and my eyes widen. I can't just let him see me like that. I'm his employee and my childish cat pajamas won't really make a good impression.

"Miss Hampshire." He says, ringing the doorbell again. I sigh and grip the door knob. I mean what did he expect? It's late, I should be in bed anyways. I open the door with a confused look.

"Mister Haynes. What are you doing here?" I ask, making him frown at me. I frown back. What is his problem. He doesn't say anything, just lets his eyes roam down my body. I would feel flattered if he didn't have a locked jaw while doing so. I roll my eyes. Sure he expected me to be in a black formal dress like every day at work.

"I-god. I didn't know it was that bad." He mutters more to himself, than to me. What?
"Excuse me?" I ask, making him shake his head.

"Nothing. I just came to inform you about the charity gala tomorrow. I called you, but you didn't pick up. So this is kind of a dilemma. I was planning on taking you with me, because I need a second pair of eyes at this event." He explains and I clear my throat.

"Oh, I can still come with you, no worries." I say and he scratches his neck awkwardly.
"Yeah well, we'll have to leave for the airport now." He says and I frown. What? Airport.

"What?" I ask and he sighs.
"This event is in Seattle. So we'll have to flight there." He says and I nod. Oh well.

"Uh, okay. Well, give me a second. You can step in while I pack for a flight." I say and he nods. I head upstairs and quickly get out a small suitcase, where I'm throwing in my toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel, a pair of sweatpants, a shirt, underwear, two dresses and two pairs of high heels.

I close the suitcase and sigh. I only needed ten minutes. I quickly walk downstairs and clear my throat when I see Mister Haynes leaning against the kitchen counter. His head snaps to me and he raises an eyebrow.

"We can go." I say and he lets out a low chuckle, before shaking his head.
"I think you forgot something." He points towards my body and I blush when I look down. I forgot to dress. I quickly run up the stairs and search for an appropriate outfit.

Once I'm standing in front of the mirror, my eyes widen and I realize my mistake. Why am I so stupid? I'm not wearing any make up and my bruises are still visible. Oh no. He must've seen them, but didn't say anything.

"I'm ready." I say, after covering the bruises and taking my suitcase. He nods and opens the door for me. I quickly walk out and lock the doors. I just now notice the black, fancy sports car and get in the backseat. Mister Haynes steps in after me and the chauffeur starts the engine. Of course he has a chauffeur.

I feel so ashamed for my bruises, I don't even want to look at him right now. How could that happen?
"Is everything alright?" I hear him ask and I nod in response.

This is going to be an awkward flight.