End it

Mia's PoV:

"James? Really?!" Cole storms into my office, closing the door after him.
"What are you talking about?" I ask, standing up. He looks furious when he nears me.

"Those are from him, aren't they?" He asks, eyeing the flowers. I watch him snatch the card from beside them and read it. The flowers are not from James, but my mother, who has contacted me after almost five years of nothing. We've lost touch after I moved here and I was not mad about it.

She hasn't been a good mother and I haven't been the best daughter, I know. She told me she left my father, after I left, but never reached my cell. That was because as soon as I moved here, I changed my number and everything that would give away where I was. Yes, I was that upset.

But she saw me in the newspapers and tried reaching me with letters and flowers. Those flowers are the second thing she sent me. I sigh when Cole looks up at me from the card in confusion. I glare at him, before snatching the card away.

"No they aren't from James." I say. He looks at me with regret in his eyes, but they soon glare at me again.
"What about the car. You lied. Why did James pick you up? Why did you let him touch you?" He asks, making me frown at him. How does he know about that?

"You looked at the camera footage?" I ask in disbelieve.
"You wouldn't tell me the truth. I asked you and you're a bad liar." He answers, crossing his arms over his chest.

"So that gives you the right of spying on me?" I ask and he shrugs.
"If that's what I have to do to get truthful answers, yes." He replies.
"Tell me, what did he want?" He pushes and I shake my head.

"That's none of your business." I snap. He clinches his jaw and comes even closer to me.
"He hurt you. Bad. You looked horrible and yet you meet him again? Give him another chance. what is wrong with you?!" He asks and I push him away from me.

"Leave me alone." I say, sitting back down on my chair and ignoring him.
"Mia, I'm just trying to-"

"What? Trying to do what exactly? Because as far as I'm concerned, you don't talk to me either. And even if I'm upset about I don't ask you, because we are not in a relationship. We are not even friends. I have no right to confront you. And you don't have that either Mister Haynes." I snap, looking up at him.

"You're right, we don't have a relationship, but I care. Okay? I care and you don't deserve to be treated like that. No one does. Because if I had it my way, you would get nothing but the best." He says angrily and before I could look up to meet his eyes, I hear the door to his office slam shut and flinch.

My heart just did a double take. Did he really mean that? Perhaps. But I'm only his secretary and we can't have a relationship. We just can't. I know he doesn't want that too, so what is he trying to so?

The rest of the day has brought nothing interesting. He didn't give me the paperwork either, so I had to get them myself. He was on his cell, didn't even give me a glance and I didn't say anything either. I sigh and pack my stuff after finally finishing the papers.

It took me almost an hour more than thought. So I'm only leaving now at six o'clock. To my luck Cole leaves the office at the same time and steps into the elevator with me. I feel my heart pounding against my rib cage. I have so much to say, but somehow I can't seem to know how to.

"Cole." I say, not knowing where I'm going with this.
"We're first name base again?" He asks, chuckling sarcastically. I roll my eyes. I guess he's still mad.

"You know what? I shouldn't have said anything. You're right, it's your life and I shouldn't act as if I'm in any importance for you." He says as the elevator doors open. We step out and into the parking lot, which is empty.

"Who said-"
"I really tried okay. I tried to act as if I didn't care for you. I tried to act as if the sex wouldn't affect me emotionally. But you just kept occupying my mind and-" He cut himself off and turned back to me.

"I was right too. I should've never let this happen. I should've just separated business and private life." He sighs.
"It's too late for that now." I say, making him nod.

"We had fun, I can't deny that. But we need to end this." He say and I nod in agreement.
"Have a nice evening Miss Hampshire." He says, before stepping into his car and driving away.

It's better this way.