42 📞 denial is toxic

Bold - Ni-ki

Italic - You

☏ ⚊ ☏

"I really do...", Ni-ki whispered, dejection seeping out of him.

Faint shouts on the other side of the line told him Y/N was busy scolding Alex about the spoiled milk. He cursed himself for not working up the courage to answer sooner until the call was abruptly ending as he push the end button.

He hung up and set his phone in the side of the desk beside his bed. It laid there in stony silence, though the object dared him to call again for one last try.

He had been so stupid in letting his stress and anger be directed on her who was just there to actually be his friend. Why did he bother communicating with a girl who could be the subject of his first pain?

As he sank into his pillow, he absentmindedly waited for the phone to shake with her usual call or text. The more he thought about her, the more he missed her.

Was this love? If there was so much complicating feelings contained in a single arrow of Cupid, then Ni-ki would gladly refuse to be struck by one but even before he realized it, the small little cherub had already done it's job.

Proven more by the time his gaze swept back to his phone which had last vibrated because of a call from her. His heart leapt when it suddenly turn back to life, causing him to scramble for it and answer, thinking it was her.

"Hello?"

"Get out of your room and join us here", it was the last voice expected to hear when he answered the call.

It wasn't Y/N but rather by his Jay hyung, who from what it sounds like, is already preparing their dinner in the kitchen through his miserable demeanor.

"Oh, it's just you", Ni-ki mumbled with a distant lack of enthusiasm, "I'll join all of you later, I'm still not hungry"

"Woah there!", Jay exclaimed, his teasing manner evaporating as Ni-ki soon hear him passing the phone to someone.

This time, Jungwon is the one chirping up in the line, "What's up with you today? Does it have something to do with your brokenhearted bundle of joy because you were waiting for her to call?"

"Shut it, I'm in no mood to joke arouns today, hyung"

"Wow, I know what this sickness is called. It's true love", Jungwon replied, a suggestive tone under his annoying voice, "I suggest you hang up on us and call your Princess nonstop. That way, you two can run to each other in a slow motion and fight through against all the odds with you being the shiny knight. I've been waiting for way too long for the happy ever after"

"It's nothing like that!", Ni-ki forced himself to protest, though every ounce of sense in his mind screamed otherwise.

"Get out of our room", Jungwon said, a voice of a leader this time, "You need to eat and we'll talk to you. You need to get out of there at least and coax out your feelings to her. Denial is toxic"

"I'm not in denial!", Ni-ki argued.

Even so, there was no point in protesting to Jungwon, for he simply responded by hanging up.

● ● ☏ ● ●