Chapter 36

"Wake up darling we're here," My eyelids flutter, as the brunette's figure begins to focus. I grumble peeling myself away from the window while scrubbing my hands against my eyes. Irene sits back flicking her hand towards one of the attendants. They swiftly move away disappearing into the cockpit. "We're in Indre-et-Loire." She lifts my hand slowly guiding me out of my seat, and down the stairs of the plane. The wind immediately sweeps our hair, and the scarf, which is tied around her head comes undone, twisting and tumbling higher and higher into the orange-pink tint of the sky. She sighs, tilting her sunglasses farther down the bridge of her nose, following the cloth with steely eyes.

"Oh, I did fancy that one," And she spends all of five seconds mourning the loss of her favorite scarf before turning on her heels disregarding it as if it hadn't existed. "That's my palace over there." She grabs my arm and points off into the distance to a large looming structure. I silently scoff to myself. Oh, so now she was a princess? Another breeze blows by lifting her hair across the red matte of her lips. She swipes the strands behind her ear with the red tips of her nails while huffing loudly.

"Roi des Palais," She slides her hands across my arms, and I frown down at her while discreetly shaking her hands off me. "King of Palaces fitting don't you think?"

"Yes, it is very...extravagant," Irene smirks and then turns away from the building.

"Extravagant indeed. Come, dear, we've got a busy evening." And the woman motions me towards a sleek crimson car with doors opened and pointed towards the sky. With one last glance back towards the plane I wipe my palms down the loose material of my pants and I slide into the passenger seat.

Irene grins over at me with this wolfish glint in her eyes and then the brunette flicks her hair over her shoulder one last time and takes her place in the driver's seat. Two men round the vehicle as soon as she's seated, catching the sides of the door with white-gloved hands, shutting them with a synchronized motion. And then we're peeling down the landing field with our windows cracked and the breeze of the ocean swirling around our heads; the faint reminisces of burnt tires lingering on the palette. I crack my window even more until the the glass is completely lowered, and I rest my arm against the opening as I lean my head out the window just a bit. I take a deep breath filling my lungs.

"Bonjour France." I whisper. The harsh wind seems to whisper back its own greeting.

°♡°

When we pull up to the cobbled material of the castle, we're immediately greeted by two rows of staff lining the edges of the front entrance. They all have their heads bowed with this golden crest pinned to the inky black of their uniform. Not long after we exit the car, another pulls up behind us. Two men exit the vehicle and begin unloading my luggage from the trunk of the car.

"Where shall we start in this big scheme of things?" Irene cooes cocking her hip as she rests her hand against it. She places her other hand against my arm and trails her nails against the skin. I glower at the appendage.

"How about you show me where my room is." She tsks swiping her hand up causing a handful of the servants to start lifting bags. She motions me along into the palace, her white pearl heels glinting as she struts her way into the building.

"Boring, but I suppose necessary," When we walk in, I'm immediately in awe at the architecture and design of Irene's home. The front entrance is glorious with high-reaching archways that frame the top area of the staircase with pillars that go on for days. Each piece has little golden designs carved in the tops and bottoms. There's a single chandelier in the center of the room adorned with teardrop crystals and pearled drapes, it's...huge. I turn-taking in the rest of the room with my heart pounding in giddy. "I'll have someone show you around once you've changed and settled, come darling." She takes me up the stairs which have this red carpet draped over them, and down a hall filled with portraits and hanging candle lights.