Chapter 19

When he finally parks the car, the sky is midnight black. Shimmering with a small handful of stars and lit by the waning of the moon. His hands are pale and sweaty, flushed red around the knuckles from his death-grip on the steering wheel. Ezra's breathing heavily, chest rising in a violent shudder, sweat dripping from his hairline and into his eyes. He whines shoving his hand up to his eyelids to scrub away.

"You let Irene test your aura?" His nimble fingers trace over the bunched meat between his brows.

"I did." Ezra shakes his head and thunks it against the fist of his hand. The car purrs gently as the air falls silent.

"Why? Why would you do that?" He says, voice wobbly and eyes shining fiercely under the orange tint of the streetlights. He grabs one of my hands pressing it against the cool skin of his forehead, nuzzling. My finger twitches.

"And dancing with Remi." He spits out tugging me closer to his side of the vehicle. I hold my weight firm in my seat not budging.

"What's wrong with dancing?" I frown wrenching my hand out of the warm cage of Ezra's hold. His eyes widen and the boy splutters at the question, shocked for just a mere second before igniting with a fiery heat.

"What's wrong with dancing?" He mocks, throwing his hands up and scooching away from the seat rest. "Nothing is wrong with dancing. Everything is wrong with Remi!" I cross my arms over my chest scowling at the bitter tone in his voice. I know I'm frowning. "You have to stay away from him Ama'Rose. Being around him is just not acceptable." My mouth drops in bafflement, my chest shaking in a gritty laugh of disbelief. Holding my finger up, I close my eyes and shake my head.

"What's unacceptable was your behavior tonight Ezra," I say hardening my features. The sub goes taunt licking the bottom of his lip until the skin is glossy and coated in sheen. "I mean what you did tonight, punching someone. And, what you did this morning." He casts his eyes to his twiddling thumbs with his voice stuck in his throat.

"Am...am I going to get a punishment." Clicking my nails off of one another I look over at the fidgeting boy and sigh.

"Yes Ezra, the way you acted tonight was non-negotiable," He buries his head in his arm and mumbles something incoherent. I open the door and scoot out the car, and Ezra is fast to stumble out the vehicle after me. He trips over his feet colliding into my body; clinging to my arm. "Where are we?"

"Nirvana's inn." He replies gnawing at the skin of his bottom lip. Ezra spares a small glance towards the car and then leads me to the Inn.

"We need to go back to the house Ezra," I say. My toes flex under the constricting strap of my stilettos, throbbing slightly. "I know for a fact everyone is probably off the walls. Worried sick and mortified by what happened tonight." Ezra holds the door open for me and I step into the coolness of the room. Walking into the inn, the click of my heels ricochets throughout the lobby.

"Welcome to Nirvana," The innkeeper smiles, peeking over my shoulder to glance at Ezra. There's a knowing look etched deep into their expression. "How can I help you?" Ezra does this motion with his hand; a signal of some sort and the keeper nods rummaging under the front desk. They pull out a golden key and set it against the counter.

"Actually, do you have a phone?" Ezra swipes up the key latching onto my arm trying to ease me away from the desk. I shoot him a look and the boy immediately freezes up.

"Oh? I believe—"

"They don't, I've been here multiple times and I can assure you they don't." Ezra butts in. The keeper nods without a second beat and apologizes softly. My lips screw up and I scrunch my nose. They honestly didn't think I was actually going to believe that bs? Did they? Gripping onto Ezra's suit, I tug him away from the desk and towards the staircase.