Chapter 22

When I wake, it's to the uncomfortable pressure laying on my bladder, and twitchy feet brushing against my calves. I peel my body away from Christian's watching as the soft wisps of his hair brush lazily against the pink-pout of his lips. The boy mumbles something incoherently; smacking his lips in his sleep. A heartfelt sigh tumbles from my lips and I crawl away from the thrown comforters and towards the slow-moving pictures of a movie. The portable DVD player is playing an old Christmas movie which has fuzzy colors and a whimsy aesthetic look, pleasing to the eyes. The soundtrack is soothing familiar in a sense, even though I've never heard it before. My fingers trace over the small rectangular screen, and then I press the black pause button.

The library goes eerily silent, but it doesn't remain that way  for long. Christian whimpers sitting up from the mountain of blankets haloed around his head, and he cries softly while rubbing his balled-up fist to his eyes. My gut lurches, and I press over the triangle of the DVD player. The Christmas song resumes, lulling and gentling. It was odd for a Christmas movie to be played in July, but if that is what he wanted so be it.

"Sorry honey," I crawl back over fast, burning my knees against the carpet in the process. A stray tear drips down his golden-olive skin and my fingers reach up to wipe it away. "Shh go back to sleep sweetie." I guide him back down onto the pillow, tugging the blankets up and over his shoulders. With precise movement, I tuck the boy back in and card my fingers through the baby-soft roots of his hair. After a moment of soft stuttered breaths and tiny head nuzzles, Christian falls asleep again, with his thumb tucked close to his lips, and a soft maa sound slipping past his lips. Certain he's fast asleep, I scoop my phone up checking the percentage, 15% and then slip through the bookshelf aisles until I'm face-to-face with the large wooden door. I swipe through my notifications, breezing past the locations on Ezra's whereabouts with something more concerning plaguing my mind. With hesitant fingers, I click through my contacts. And I swallow anxiously when my Ma's pictured icon pops up.

The shake in my hands causes the fleshy part of my finger to press against the overheated glass of my phone. And the device flickers black for one second, two seconds, three seconds, before lighting back up in white, ringing shrill in my ear. My throat feels sticky-clogged, and I find myself counting the number of times the phone rings before a familiar voice answers. I lurch.

"Hey, Ma." I blink fiercely. Why are you getting so emotional? Stop jumping to conclusions. My mother exclaims in both excitement and worry, her voice thick with a comforting essence.

"Oh baby, I read the paper and seen you on about every news broadcasting station. Your cousins won't stop talkin about you now, which aint doing no one any good. You're aunt even had the nerve to come up in this house talkin about some family compensation, cause of them dance lessons she done taught you." Ma sucks her teeth. The connection goes staticky before smoothing out to normal.

"Anyhow, I've been tryin to reach you, but the press been hounding the phone, god only knows how they got my number, but I'm just blessed we're finally getting into contact with one another. How have you been baby doll, I was worried." I yank the library door open, stepping into the much cooler area of the hall. I make my way towards the large television and the couch pit.

"I'm good, I live in this big mansion now with about seven others. I'm being taught how to be a proper Dom and all the basics," My heart thumps viciously behind my ribs. "And...and I have a submissive now. His name is Ezra and he's the only S ranked sub living in America right now, there's another but he lives in France and his stay is only temporary." My mama falls silent, her breath soft and crisp through the speakers of the phone. I continue.

"I'm befriending most of the inhabitants, and I think I'm really connecting with them even though it's been about three days since I moved in..." God, I want to ask. I want to ask, and I want answers. Who was this mysterious dinosaur lady in my life, who was she and what happened to her? "It's supposedly rare to be born a higher rank than your parents, but I know a pair of twins whose got this rare genetic mutation thing going on. They live here at the mansion." My Ma makes her signature wincing sound, the sound which only happens when she's sad and in pain. I can only imagine the look in her eyes, the down curve of her lips, the resignation thrumming through her veins. My bottom lip wobbles without my consent.