CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I leaned onto the cold glass railing as I took in the autumn cold air. It has been getting slightly colder now and I was really loving the cold weather. I had always loved the autumn and the cold winters while sitting near the fireplace in the living room. I also loved to cozy up with warm blankets in my bed and couch while the room was dark with just the fairy lights on.

I snuggled more into the soft blanket around my shoulders and leaned on to the railing again while looking at the beautiful sky. Though it was a bit cloudy and covered, stars shone all over it, slightly showing through the light layer of clouds. I sighed and fell into a daze as I thought about Kegan.

He had told me he couldn't survive even a day without looking into my eyes. Though I felt the same way about his eyes, I couldn't help but feel giddy and love-struck as his words circled in my head. I felt myself smiling constantly like a lovesick teenager as I cupped my blushed face with my hands.

I was in love, that was for sure, but I never knew this feeling could make me feel so happy. Before this, all the love I had ever felt for anyone like my parents and friends, always were very lonely and sad. And before I knew it, I had started to associate love with sadness and loneliness. And getting to actually feel happy about feeling the emotion of love made me even more elated.

"Earth to Faye!" I jumped a little from shock as Athena shook me hard, trying to get my attention. She had pulled her hair into a full bun with a few strands out on her face. Her face wore a confused expression as she gave me the what-is-going-on look.

"Oh, hi. When did you come back?" I asked her, still not completely out of my daze. I gave her a long hug as I smiled widely from ear to ear.

"I just came back. You didn't even notice me despite me being so loud." Athena chuckled. "Anyways, what happened that left you smiling from ear to ear? Anything scandalous happened after I left?"

"Well, nothing scandalous. Just some very sweet words." I sighed deeply as my smile got bigger yet again.

Athena's eyes widened with surprise before she gave a big smile.

"What kind of sweet words?" She asked while her eyes filled with anticipation.

I loved this side of her. The side which loved learning more and more about me. The side that got happy whenever something good happened to me and got sad whenever something sad happened to me. The side that showed interest in my life unlike any other person has ever done. She was the perfect best friend which I could ever wish for and I loved her.

"He told me he can't survive without looking into my eyes ever again. He sounded so serious about it. Like he's actually falling in love with me. Like what I feel for him is not just one sided." I fell into a daze again as I looked into space. "Maybe—maybe we could someday be more."

Athena hugged me again and held me in that position as she stared into the sky. I knew she was smiling with happiness even though I couldn't see her face.

"I just never imagined Kegan to ever show his emotions like this. But I'm so glad I was wrong about him. Thanks to that, I can see you so happy. And it makes me feel so happy as well." She said as she gave me a light squeeze.

After a while of embracing me, she let go and sat down in the sofa in the balcony. She then motioned me to come sit next to her while taking a soft blanket out of the basket beside the sofa. We both wrapped ourselves in our blankets and got cozy on the sofa as we stared at the night sky.

"You know, I was really worried at the beginning. About you and Kegan. And also, about myself, I guess. I couldn't see a possibility of us three ever getting along with our personalities. Kegan and I are just so different, like day and night. But being your best friend, I really wanted to get along with him as well. And this week, I have been so happy being able to finally talk to him and get along with him. I might have judged him a bit harshly in the beginning but I'm glad to be wrong." Athena said while still staring at the sky with smiley eyes.