CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

"I had a big crush on her since elementary school. But it wasn't just me though. Apparently half of the school had a crush on her. She was beautiful and very popular."

We were both sitting next to each other on the grass in the hideout. Kegan finally decided to tell me everything about his past. So, I silently sat next to him as he got lost in his past.

"Cammy, who was my best friend at that time also liked her. But it never created any rivalry or fights between us. We were best buds and our bond was strong. But on our last year of middle school, Phoebe finally found an interest in me and soon we started dating. I was young and foolish and fell in love with her in no time. Even though Cammy knew about it, he never let it affect our friendship. He was happy for me. And I was glad knowing he would always be there for me. Soon enough, he started dating one of Phoebe's friends and everything was excellent."

He let out a breath before he continued.

"When we entered high school, the four of us were best friends. We always hung out together. Whether it was on dates or to finish schoolwork, we were always together. Everything was going so well between us and we were all happy. And so, I thought it was."

He paused a bit before he got to the bad part.

"Almost five months into high school, one day we decided to meet at Cammy's house to play some games and have fun. Cammy's girlfriend couldn't go that day because her grandparents came to visit, so it was just the three of us.

I wanted to surprise Phoebe with some roses, so I texted Cammy and told him I would be late. By the time I got the roses and arrived at his house, I was around thirty minutes late. I went to his room in complete silence to surprise her, only to catch them both having sex on his bed."

He stared at the ground with a hurtful expression. I put my hand on his shoulder wishing it would give him some comfort. He faced me and looked at me before he continued.

"Turned out it wasn't their first time. They had been sleeping around since the beginning of high school. And no one knew. I beat the crap out of him when I found out everything, which left him in the hospital for three weeks.

They started dating each other soon after, as I distanced myself from everyone. I was able to handle my ex-girlfriend cheating on me, but I couldn't handle the betrayal from my best friend.

After that, I built my walls, drew a line and confined myself there. I erased my emotions and became the person I am now. I never made any friends and never let anyone come close to me, until you." He stared into my eyes as he finished his story.

"I'm sorry, I treated you the way I did when we first met. I was scared of the emotions I felt when I met you and... I just wanted to stay away from getting hurt again. And even just now. I'm so sorry." He said with sadness in his eyes.

"It's okay. I understand. You went through something terrible." I told him as I rested my head on his shoulder. Then he too rested his head on mine as he took my hand in his.

We stayed in silence for some time. It felt so peaceful and nice to stay with him like that.

"Kegan?"

"Yeah?"

"So, what are we now?" I asked him hesitantly. "You said you didn't want to be friends with me."

He immediately turned around to face me. I hesitantly looked at him.

"I don't want to be friends with you. Not anymore." He replied and I looked down feeling sad. "I want us to be more than just friends."

His reply made me look back at him with wide eyes.

"Come on, love. Give me a chance to at least take you out and ask you to be mine. You don't expect me to ask you that here on the ground like this, do you?" He said with a smirk.