9| The Twins

I stood nervously in front of Valentinas' house. Since Sebastian knows I'm alive, there's no reason to hide anymore because soon enough, the rest of the mafia world is gonna find out.

The door was thrown open and I was met with Valentinas huge smile. She wrapped her arms around me. Our first proper hug in years. After a couple of moments, she ushered me in. "Vin isn't home, is he?," I asked, on edge. She shook her head.

"Nope. He'll be gone for a couple of hours."

"I bet the twins don't remember me," I guessed since I haven't seen them since they were toddlers and now they're six about to be seven years old. She shook her head.

"I think they kind of do. I'd show them pictures of you and tell them stories before bed. The one story I haven't covered yet is the one where you return from faking your death." She laughed as I followed her to the main room, rolling my eyes behind her.

Her house was huge but it still looked homely. Even the outside looked perfect with climbing frames and swings. Obviously, she has a gate around the house. Who knows who might try to come and kill them?

"We haven't got to the end of that yet," I chuckled. We might never will.

"Babies!," she called out loudly and instantly tiny little feet stamping along the floor neared us. As soon as they saw me, they came to a halt.

Identical faces to Valentina stared back at me. To be honest, it was a little creepy. When they were younger, you couldn't really tell who they looked like. Even in pictures, it's hard to tell.

"Mommy, she looks like that girl from the picture," Dante stated with a toothless grin. I bet he's still a little troublemaker.

"Obviously," Sophia spoke. I could tell she has an attitude just like her mom. She neared me and looked up at me. "I like your hair." A small smile grew on my face. My hair isn't the same as it is in the pictures because they were from all those years ago.

"Thank you!," I said with a huge smile. "I love your dress."

"Who wouldn't!," she exclaimed.

"This is your zia (aunt) Liliana," Valentina introduced me. A frown grew on my face and Valentina noticed. "Shit, I'm sorry."

I shrugged my shoulders. I was always gonna have to go back to my old name now anyway but she just made it seem real. I should've known the name 'Elena' was temporary.

"Why are you apologising? I am Liliana."

I felt good as I finally reclaimed my name as mine and leaving 'Elena' in the past.

"But you guys can call me Lili," I said with a small smile, not wanting to be called zia because it makes me feel old. Sophia and Dante grinned up at me.

~

"Something needs to happen," I spoke in hushed whispers to Valentina as we sat in her living room.

The twins played together loudly in front of us but you have to be careful around kids, you never know when they're listening. And I've heard that they're very observant.