3: To Catch An Owl

The incessant scratching of pencil on paper filled Yuji's ears. It was equal parts annoying and cute.

The kid who was writing had a mop of curly green hair and a determined expression.

So, Yuji being the social butterfly he was, asked him about it. They were both teenagers in their school uniforms too, so it wouldn't seem weird. But mostly he wanted the scraping sound to stop for a bit. He hated subways for their multitude of sounds. Too many people doing too much.

"Whatcha writing?" He asked. Yuji was standing over the boy, holding onto a handle as all the seating was taken up. The kid looked up with wide green eyes and blushed.

"Oh, I'm making a quirk analysis." The boy revealed, "Its a hobby of mine.". Yuji smiled.

"Wow, U.A students really are on a different level." He said. "You're always on the clock.".

"Oh no," The boy said, stumbling over his words, "This is just a me thing. I've always been interested in quirk and how they work.". The kid's heartbeat was stuttering in his chest.

Suddenly Yuji's interest was actually piqued. Could this kid help him with his...problem? If it was considered a problem.

Casually he tested the waters. "Then do you know anything about quirk enhancing drugs? I've seen a bunch of news stories about 'em but I don't know much.".

"I don't." The boy said, sounding apologetic, "But I've been looking into sudden quirk enhancements and quirk evolution. Its-uh not for a particular reason.". He was shy and cute. Yuji found himself smiling.

Yuji heard the train click over the familiar end of track near his house. "Well we take the same train route. If you have any major breakthroughs tell me." He said with a wink as he exited the train. He left the U.A boy and his overactive heartbeat behind him.

'Time for the cool stuff' He thought as he skipped home to ditch his backpack.

--------- --------- ---------- -------- ------- --------- -------- ---------

"You've been chasing him for how many night now?" Ms. Joke teased as she stood next to Eraserhead on the rooftop. The underground hero grumbled.

"Five." He spat out. She laughed a little at that.

"And you've recruited my help why?" She asked.

"You're the biggest distraction I know. We need to throw him off his game." Aizawa shot back. Emi didn't even look hurt, to her it was a compliment.

"We're both pretty underground heroes. I suppose it makes sense. But what makes you think you'll catch him out tonight? He's consistent but not that consistent." She asked.

"Because I've got some good intel that a notorious villain will be out tonight, trying to assault unsuspecting civilians and I'm pretty sure he has the same information." Aizawa revealed. "To catch an owl you need-"

"A mouse." Emi finished. "Wait, is Mouse Man back in town?". Aizawa nodded. The woman sighed.

"I hate vermin." She said dejectedly.

Meanwhile Yuji was having an awful time. He had gone out on patrol again because he sensed that something was wrong.

He had discovered the problem.

Rats. So many fucking rats. He could hear them around every corner, he could see them in the corner of his eye around sewer grates and storm drains. It was infuriating. Their little squeaks, the sound of their claws against the concrete and asphalt.