21: Three Trench Coats In A Kid

"Hey kiddo! Haven't seen you around here in a while." Goto said, slapping his hand on Yuji's back firmly. 

"He's been slacking off." Yuji's ma quipped from where he was moving some of the weights around. 

Goto Eichi was an old friend of his moms. A security guard that had been boxing with his mom since she started in the sport. He came by twice weekly. 

Yuji really hadn't seen him in a while. He had been out of the gym entirely during his first few months as Ghost, then he had been relegated to cleaning up after closing so he never saw any of the regulars or even occasional drop ins. 

"I have not." Yuji pouted, "I got way better, I promise.". 

"Dirtier, is what he means." His mom added, "Sure, no one dirty boxes like he does but its still dirty boxing.". She was holding up two pads and helping some middle schoolers with their straights. Yuji made a mental note to bring a couple of those the next time he saw Eri. 

It was normal for him to teach kids how to punch. He helped out with classes enough. Besides, Eri needed something, a hobby or a skill like other kids her age had. Everyone was in lessons for something at that age and while she was at U.A after her brief stay in the hospital she couldn't really go out and take ballet classes or something. 

"What's dirty boxing?" One of the middle schoolers asked. 

"Technically its called mixed martial arts." Yuji's mom explained, "But because Yu-yu's got a background in boxing, its just boxing without rules.". 

"Is it better than normal boxing?" Another one asked as she redid her pony tail. 

"In a street fight, yeah. But remember what I told you when you all signed up for lessons. The rules are paramount. Boxing is an amazing sport, but its not a sport at all if you fight dirty.". 

"And the sport part is what makes it fun!" A third said, parroting what Yuji's moms always said. His mom smiled at them.

"That's right. Now come on, hit the pads harder. Don't hold back.". 

Goto turned to Yuji and smiled. "What'd you do to make them turn you into a bad example?" He asked with a laugh. 

Yuji laughed sheepishly. "I've never been a good example." He replied, "My whole life they've been telling kids my fighting style isn't one to be followed.". 

"You know that's only because no one else can do it, right?" Goto told him. He seemed a little worried. Maybe he thought Yuji was being too self-depreciating or he honestly thought his moms disapproved of his style. 

"What?". Yuji tilted his head in confusion. 

"They tell those kids not to follow your example 'cause they'll never be able to do it like you." Goto said with a smile, "Don't wanna get their hopes up.". 

"Its not impossible." Yuji scoffed. 

"It is for all of us that can't hear what they're talking about next door over the sound of a full gym." Goto retorted, before going back to landing heavy hits on the bag he had been working on. 

Yuji thought about it for a bit. Maybe it was impossible for someone without his quirk to fight like him. He used his instincts more than anything else. It was intuitive. Based on his sight and hearing more than anything else. 

The teen laughed and shook his head. "They're talking about what they want for dinner." He told Goto before he went back to hanging up sandbags. 

------------ ------------ ---------- ------------- ---------- ----------- ----------- ----------