12: The Fall From Grace

Aizawa didn't wait more than a moment before jumping after the boy. He had no plan, no idea how to stop the fall or if he could even reach him in time, he just knew he couldn't stand there for another millisecond. 

Yuji didn't feel weightless at all. People had always said that falling from great heights made you feel weightless, not unlike floating. 

He wasn't floating. He weighed far too much and he was falling back to the ground far too fast. 

His senses went into overdrive. He could hear it all, the sirens below him, the shouts of the villains above and the sound of Eraserhead's feet made as them took their last step off the edge of the skyscraper. 

He watched with wide, horrified eyes as he saw his own face in Aizawa's eyes. Well, his own mask. 

Yuji tried to figure out the distance between them but couldn't get his brain to connect it. He barely realized he was reaching out-reaching up-for the hero to take his hand. 

Their fingers brushed for just an instant and fear filled Yuji's veins turning them to ice. 

He was going to die here. 

He could tell by the look in Aizawa's eyes that the man thought the same thing. Still, Yuji's body moved on its own accord, reaching up again with the other arm. 

This time the grip stuck and Yuji's right hand was wrapped as securely as possible around Aizawa's left forearm. 

People were also wrong about it feeling like he was falling in slow motion. It was fast. His ears felt like they were going through a wind tunnel or something. It was just such a long way down. 

Aizawa pulled himself closer to Yuji and reached for his belt, but fumbled his grip. The vigilante realized what he was doing. 

Yuji grabbed the grappling hook and shot it at the building nearly blindly. He didn't consider where the best place to hit would be at all-just hoped for the best. 

It took and suddenly Yuji found himself swinging arm first into the glass window of Shino Tower. 

Glass shards imbedded themselves into his shoulder making him cry out in pain. He could feel some along his left hip and the left side of his head. Every gadget on that side of his body was gone for sure, including the voice modulator. 

Yuji gasped for breath when they stopped falling and stopped swinging finally. He continued to pant as his grip on the grappling hook shook from fear and adrenaline. 

The boy had never heard human hearts beat so fast. He was scared that at any second one of the muscles would just-stop. Too tired to keep beating faster and faster. 

'Don't look down don't look down don't look down don't look down don't look down' Yuji thought. Unfortunately he was distracted by Aizawa taking a very injured sounding breath and looked down. 

Nope. Too many floors. Probably around 40 or 50. The world looked tiny. Yuji's stomach dropped painfully as he fixed his eyes back on his own hand and the grappling hook holding them in place and stopping them from plummeting to their deaths. 

At least Eraserhead didn't look that injured. Not as injured as Yuji was at least, although that was a low bar. He was pretty fucked up. There was glass in his entire left side, head included. He was surprised he didn't have a concussion at this point. Actually he probably did, but that could wait. He couldn't exactly take the test right now. 

"Hold still." Aizawa gritted out. The sound of more glass falling was distressing to say the least. "Hey-keep calm. Or as calm as you can be. There's a crack in the window where you hit it-I'm widening it with the capture weapon. I'll find something to hold onto and I'll pull us in. Just stay right where you are, okay kid? You're doing great.".