25: Your Opinion Is What Matters

Namura Yuji's existence was by no means an accident. 

Due to some unforeseen circumstances and nasty family drama, Ayako and Isamu had married at 20, less than a year after they met and started dating. It was the best decision they ever made in the long run though. 

When they were both 27 they had the building the gym was in paid off completely (by some miracle) and were completely settled in that area of Musutafu. They were by no means rich-but they had enough money to raise a child and put them through university, so they decided to say screw it and have one. 

Because they were both women, things took a bit more fenagling. There were no accidental pregnancies in that household. 

(Although when Yuji got older that was one of their big concerns) 

Ayako was willing to fight her wife in the ring to be the one to carry their kid (since they decided to only have one) but it turned out she didn't have to. Isamu was more than willing to give up that position. 

Then they considered the option of Ayako carrying the child, but them being biologically Isamu's, but around that time Isamu had drunkenly confessed to her wife that she was worried about the kid getting her quirk. 

She generated an excess of heat and it increased with her mood causing her red hair and eyes to glow. As a child she had been quite prone to tantrums and rages. It was hard to master a quirk like that, especially after she picked up boxing at 14. It ended up being what saved her from a quirk use related misdemeanor in the end though. 

Despite being the 'angry one' of the pair, she tried very hard. 

But kids didn't know any better and she was worried that the kid would end up with her quirk. Ayako assured her for months that it wasn't a concern, but she wouldn't budge. 

In the end, they had decided that people were allowed to have their hard stops. That they could be emotionally mature and fully rounded people and still have certain childish fears that got the better of them. 

So Ayako was the one who actually got pregnant, which was hilarious when in the summer of 20XX the kid came out her literal clone. 

They had decided Yuji's gender would be a secret and were shocked when he was a boy. It would be a challenge for sure. They weren't worried about much until puberty though. Face shaving was a bit out of their depth at the time. Lucky for them they would eventually discover Yuji couldn't grow a beard for shit so they didn't even have to learn. 

They named him Yuji, using the kanji 雄二 for 'heroic' and 'two'. It was traditionally a name given to the second son, but they thought it somehow suited him. 

Yuji was so much like Ayako when he was a baby and toddler that they didn't notice that his quirk had appeared at all. They only learned when Isamu took him to a quirk specialist at 4 to see if he was quirkless or not and they told her he'd had a quirk for a while now and (apparently) misdiagnosed it as enhanced hearing, same as his mom. 

In retrospect it was obvious. He unintentionally eavesdropped on people so often his kindergarten had called home about it and he often wore headphones around the house like Ayako did when the noise was a bit much for her. 

The couple often said they were blessed with Yuji. Not because they were lesbians and had the wrong equipment to make him without help, but because he was an easy kid. 

Rambunctious sure, a handful obviously, but he was smart too. He was emotionally and academically stellar from a young age, which made parenting easier because he actually understood what they were telling him to do and why.