1.6

I could see the pants of my breaths fanning in front of my green eyes. The coldness grazed my bare arms, wrapping around the soft tan skin in an embrace. Goosebumps arose on the surface of my forearms and was forming downwards. My brown air was strayed, tendrils framing the soft curves of my face. My chest rose up and down, making more noise than I wanted. My cover would be disposed of if I even step on a loose floorboard.

" I know she is your mate, but you are our family." Tristan's father's voice boomed in his office, not thinking that people could hear him. I was just out of the towering white french doors with a sheer white material covering me, and the conversation between the father and son peeked my interest.

"And you will respect that Kenna is my mate, Dad." Tristan's voice was stern, persistent for some odd reason. It was like he was trying to convince his dad to listen to his own opinion like he was the Beta or the Alpha. I never saw this type of Tristan, always the one respecting his father's decisions and contributing some thoughts of his own. "I will not diminish such an opportunity for power to some awfully planned killing spree. The Pierce family will be deemed as killers, causing our future generations to have such awful words attack them. We will continue with our plan of faking out Kenna. We've already mated, we just need to kill her father and I'll be Alpha."

Stop. I needed to stop this conversation, but my feet stayed rooted to the soft carpet and had no intention of moving. I shouldn't have heard such threatening conversation between, what I though, trustworthy men. The short intake of breath that I made was not heard from Tristan and Harrison. Harrison should never be labeled as a Beta. He was just too cruel if this plan of their's was his. They should be ashamed of themselves to think such disrespectful thoughts.

Tristan.

My own mate's name felt bitter on my tongue, revolting me. My hands clawed at my heart, my wolf stirring in frustration and betrayal... And heartbreak. We thought Tristan's wolf loved us, but the words he had just said aloud told us different. His wolf wouldn't allow such words to come out of his human form and this led to my own wolf to crumble. Down went my wolf and down went myself. My knees slammed against the carpet, my hands bawling up the white wool. My earlier pants of breathes were not from anticipation, anymore, rather in a deep need of a tornado full of air. My heart was breaking and I heard a soft impact of a heavy object in the other room.

I knew that heavy object was Tristan. My mate.

Power. His facade was just for power; something he already had and would receive more eventually. I should've listened to Ava and I stayed the night at her's, but my wolf wouldn't let me be away from my mate for such a long time. If I stayed the night at Ava's, I wouldn't have heard this conversation and wouldn't be going through heartbreak. Pain shot up throughout my body, Tristan's and my bond lessening by the second.

"Tristan!" His father shouted, probably getting down on his knees beside his only son. "What's wrong?"

"She's right outside the doors. I sense her." Tristan's voice was coming out as strained and in pants. "She heard." A ferocious growl erupted from Harrison and in the growl's wake made a whimper escape my lips. It was that strong.

The white doors opened to my demise...