1.7

The walk to my parent's house was short-lived since Derek's house was situated right next to them. There were a few gifted wolves that had houses, instead of living in the pack house, but Tristan and I chose to live in the pack house. Mom and Dad rarely set foot in their house, since their main offices were in the pack house, so I wasn't surprised that the door was unlocked and I could easily pass on through.

"Mom, Dad! Derek has been trying to reach you, but you guys are picking up!" I yelled up at the grand stairs towering over me, my hand resting on the wooden banister.

I was greeted with silence upon yelling my few words. Furrowing my eyebrows, I embarked on the long path of white, wooden stairs that led to the second level of the house. Once I reached the landing, I could hear a slight hum coming from my parents' bedroom. I couldn't pin-point why there was a slight hum coming from my parents' bedroom or what the hum was, but I wasn't having a good feeling of the noise.

It might have been just a hum, but if Mom and Dad weren't here, they would have taken control of it. The hum could've been just a fragment of noise coming from their room, yet it still set little waves crashing in the pit of my stomach. Hesitantly, I started down the carpeted hallway where my parents' bedroom door stood at the end. I was passing by the little home gym when I noticed the change of smell.

It, faintly, smelt like someone's familiar anxiety and an unknown person's anger. That someone familiar was Mom's and the anger could've been from Dad... Or someone else. The scent only emitted from the bedroom, but the other rooms smelt just like apples. Dad would always spray the house with air freshener that smelt like apples, always complaining about the house smelt like wet dogs due of the constant rain in our town.

I heard the front door slammed shut and a pair of footsteps rounding up the staircase. I brought out my wolf's claws as a precaution. The anxiety and anger had put me on edge. Why would anybody be nervous or angry in my parents' bedroom? I was relieved that Tristan was the person who had the entered the house and not someone else. Seeing the claws right away, Tristan raised an eyebrow, but I could tell he smelt the same smell as me.

He touched my wrist, my claws retracting into the soft tips of my fingers and made my wolf start to ease. Tristan's eyes held my own, and he dragged me to the white door. Tristan glanced at me without a word escaping his mouth, but it felt like that adamant face spoke several. A crease is formed between his eyebrows, his jaw tense, and the sharp bones of his cheek protruded. I took a deep breath before Tristan twisted the knob and pushed the door open.

What laid before me was just a normal scene, nothing that came out of a horror store. But, that didn't add up. The anxiety and anger was at the peak in this room, so something must have happened. The slight hum of noise was coming from a fan that was in the corner of the bedroom. Tristan hugged me into his side, obviously feeling something I didn't sense. I couldn't tell why my senses weren't working to their full abilities, but right now I needed to check my parents' bedroom.

The anxiety and anger didn't add up with the spotless scene. No blood spattered the dark blue walls or the wooden floor. There wasn't a sign that the furniture was askew that signalled that someone was trying to protect themselves. The California king bed was in its perfect position between the dark wooden end tables, two white lamps lying on top of the wooden surface. My parents' closet door was still close and it was there that the anxiety and anger stopped.