Nine

"Are you sure? I'm just confused on how you got 264 when you didn't add in 18x." I said to Daniel, both of us staring at our papers in front of us.

Me and Daniel Perez have been friends for a little while. He wasn't the sweetest kid, and didn't have the best reputation, but he was nice to me. Plus, he was really good at calculus.

And kinda hot.

"Y'know, maybe if we hung out later I could show you how to get it down." Dan said, smirking at me.

Just as he said that, the bell rang. As I started packing up my stuff and putting my notebook in my bag, I studied Daniel's facial expression. Knowing him, he probably just was looking for a way to hook up.

"Dan, I'm not falling for that." I said, smiling and standing out of my seat. I picked up my bag and threw it over my shoulder.

"Falling for what?" He asked, copying my actions. We both started walking out of the classroom.

"You inviting me over. Next thing I know one things leads to another and..." I said, not finishing my sentence. He nodded his head, following me to my locker.

"Alright, fine. Come over and I'll just teach you the work. No sex. I promise. I'll even pick you up." He said, walking in front of me and standing still. I looked up at him, slightly continuing to smile.

"No sex?" I asked. He nodded.

"No sex." Dan confirmed. After looking at each other for a second, he spoke up again.

"What time should I get you? We can go to my place right after school if you want."

"I can't. I have work. I would say to pick me up after, but I probably won't get out until late." I told him. We started walking down the hallway again, both of us standing side my side. I passed a girl I knew and she waved hi, me waving back. Dan waited until I looked back at him.

"I don't care. I'll pick you up late, then. The test is tomorrow and based on you not knowing that sole problem, you need to prepare." He said.

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to look up at him, pressing my hand against my forehead.

"Please tell me your joking and there's no calculus test tomorrow."

All he did was chuckle.

"Text me your work adress when your done." He smiled.

A random football player I didn't know the name of came up behind Dan, put his arm around his shoulder and started walking away with him, a new conversation between them starting up. Dan looked behind at me one more time before disappearing into the crowd of students.

That night, I finished working around seven, which was a little earlier than I had anticipated. I hadn't seen Liam all day, and I got the hint we were still avoiding each other.

I told Daniel to meet me in the parking garage where the elevator lets me out. As I walked up to his car, I noticed another familiar car parked nearby.

It was Liam's.

He was sitting in the passenger seat, and we made eye contact through the side mirror.

I quickly remembered how he had teased me with Mariah during our last encounter. He wasn't going to get away with it and not have any reaction from me.

So, I held eye contact until I got into Daniel's car. After I greeted Dan and hugged him, I looked back over at Liam, who was staring.

I wasn't using Daniel to get at Liam by any means. I was actually friends with Daniel, and me and Liam weren't and will never be together.

It just happened to be good timing.