𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐓𝐰𝐨

Paramedics took Dad to a hospital in an ambulance. Me and my mom drove together to the hospital to meet him there and figure out what was going on. Liam said he would meet up with us after everyone left the country club.

Two hours went by before a doctor called my mother's name. Liam should be on his way.

I sat in the waiting room by myself as my mom spoke to one of the doctors. I tried to read lips, but I couldn't really tell what either of them were saying.

Then, my mom started to cry again, and a pit grew in my stomach.

The doctor touched her shoulder out of sympathy, but she turned and started to walk towards me. We made eye contact, and I stood up out of nervousness.

"What happened? Is he okay?" I asked. Mom stopped looking at me, and sat down in one of the chairs.

"He had a stroke." She said. I shook my head.

"But he'll be fine, right?"

I felt a hand touch my shoulder, and turned around to see Liam there. He nodded towards my mom, and she gave him a light nod back. That was all that had to be done.

"Right?" I asked again, after saying hello to Liam. My mom stared down at the floor.

"He has heart failure, Gabs. Doc doesn't think he'll make it past this week." She explained.

I shook my head. This couldn't be happening. My dad wasn't going to die on me. There was still so much he needs to do. Like see me graduate high school, and walk me down the isle. And see his grandkids.

"I don't understand. He was fine-" I tried. All Mom did was shake her head.

"Deep down, I always knew something like this would happen. I just didn't think it'd happen so soon." She cried.

I felt my lip quivering. I tried to stop myself from breaking out into sobs in the middle of the waiting room, not wanting to draw attention to us. But, when I turned around and Liam hugged me, I lost it.

He had to keep me up because of how upset I was. At that point, I didn't care if my mom or anyone else saw us hugging. I just needed someone to be there right now.

A couple more minutes passed. When me and my mom finally calmed down, we went to go see Dad in his room. The room he'd be in until he died.

Liam walked with us, the three of us walking in silence. He held my hand in the elevator and rubbed my back everytime my mom turned.

We found my Dad's room and Liam waited outside. Last time I was in this situation, I was told Dad would be okay.

Look at us now.

"Hi, sweetie." Dad said when he saw me enter the room. My mom touched my shoulder and left. I think partly because she kept crying and wanted to be strong, and partly to give me and Dad some alone time.

"Hi, Dad." I said. I smiled, trying to be strong like my mom, and sat down next to him, holding his hand. He shook his head when he saw a tear fall down my cheek.

"Don't cry. You'll be just fine without me." He said.

I wasn't expecting that.

I shook my head.

"No, I won't. I still need you." I said. He patted the top of my head, the cords in his arms moving with him.

"You haven't needed me for a long time, now Gabby."

But I did.

A moment of silence past, the two of us just sitting with each other's company. Then, my dad spoke up.

"I want to talk to that young man out there." He said. I looked up, confused.

"Mr. Wolf?" I asked, just making sure he knew what he was saying. But, he nodded his head.

I went out to the hallway and saw my mom and Liam looking at each other. They seemed like they were having an important conversation, which made me curious. I would have to ask him about it later.

"Dad wanted to talk to you. I don't know why." I said once I met up with them. Liam looked like he got nervous.

I've never seen him nervous before.

He didn't say anything, but walked into the room. This left me and my mom in the hallway.

"Did I interrupt something?" I asked, referring to when I first walked outside. My mom didn't look at me.

"I was just letting him know that since your father won't make it...he needs to be there." She said.

I felt my heart drop into my stomach for the second time. Why would she say Liam, my boss, had to be there for me?

"Why would Mr. Wolf..." I started, but she shook her head and cut me off.

"I know about you two." She admitted, looking at me for the first time. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"How?" I wondered. She looked away again.

"I see the way he looks at you."

Neither of us said anything after that. I stared at her for a second, and then looked into the room where Liam and my Dad were talking.

They both laughed, and Liam must have felt my eyes on him. He looked at me, and we stared at each other before he went back to talking to my dad.

𝐖𝐎𝐋𝐅जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें