𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐎𝐧𝐞

Dad came back from the hospital with mom with no more health problems. He had this certain pill he had to take now every morning, but he didn't seem to mind.

My mom, though, was worried. I could tell. She always looked out for him, and now she did more than ever. She needed to get out of the house, and this office party was just the thing us as a family needed to do.

Me, Mom and Dad were all going together to the country club the party was being held at. They really went all out this year, welcoming Liam for the new boss and saying goodbye to the old Mr. Wolf.

I was excited to say the least. My dress was on and my Dad said I looked beautiful, which gave me confidence. I couldn't wait to see Liam, and his face when he saw me and I saw him. We've never really seen each other super dressed up before.

When we walked into the main hall of the country club, I saw the room decorated with chandeliers, people walking around with champagne glasses and fancy cheeses, and a bar set up in the corner. At the very front of the room, there was a stage for people to go up on if they had a speech.

It was pretty crowded, most of the people me and my mom worked with already being there. Including Liam.

Me and him made eye contact from across the room. One of my mom's friends came up to say hi to us, but I couldn't really pay attention. No one else seemed to notice us, either, as we were locked in each other's trance.

I thought it was kind of humerous. Out of everyone in that room, no one had any idea of the things me and Liam did, or the things we shared. No one besides me and him.

I saw him say goodbye to whoever he was talking to and start walking over to me and my Mom and Dad. I noticed my hands starting to shake when I went to tuck my hair behind my ear. I was so nervous to talk to him, mainly because my parents were here and I've never talked to the three of them all at once. It made me giddy, and my heart felt like it was beating a mile a minute.

"Mr. and Mrs. Steiger. It's very nice to see you this evening. Especially you, Mr. Steiger. Donna, even though your a joy, I'm glad to see you here after the accident." Liam greeted my parents, not yet looking my way. My dad smiled and shook his hand, Mom copying his actions.

If they only knew.

"Oh, thank you, Mr. Wolf. It's a pleasure to be here. Always a great turnout." Dad smiled. Liam nodded his head.

Then me and Liam made eye contact. He looked me up and down, seeing the dress I was wearing.

"Good evening, Gabrielle." He said, staring at me. I stared back, and we shook each other's hands as if we barely knew each other.

"Evening, Mr. Wolf." I said.

Someone up front on stage tapped a spoon against his glass into the microphone. He announced to everyone that dinner was served, and my mom lightly pressed my arm away from Liam.

He went to sit at a long table at the front of the room with a few important people who helped run the company. I sat with my parents, Betsy and a few other random people I recognized from the office. Every now and then, me and Liam would make eye contact. And, when we did, it made me weak.

Over dinner, I felt my phone buzz in my lap. I looked down and saw it was a text from Liam. I smiled to myself as I read "You look beautiful. I can't wait to love you later." from the phone screen. When I looked over at him, he was staring and smiling at me.

I was blushing, and I couldn't stop it.

After dinner, it was time for Liam's speech as the new boss. From what I could tell, he didn't seem nervous at all. Or, maybe, he was just really good at hiding it.