Chapter 14: Breaking Down

-----Harry's POV-----

"Rosie! Rosie! Hey get back here!" Louis's desperate pleas echo through the house. I jump off my bed and sprint downstairs to him. "Louis! Louis, what happened?" I ask. He bends down and picks up papers off the ground. I stare between Louis and the wide open front door. "Lou, mate, where's Rose?"

He struggles to find any words, "Sh-She ran... I couldn't do anything... She found them... And-and-and she's gone..." I snatch the papers out of his hands and read the first two words on the top: Adoption Forms. A huge knot appears in my throat and I can feel the blood leave my face. I stare at the papers horrorstruck because I know exactly what Rose read.

I look to Louis, his eyes brimming with tears. I firmly grab his shoulders, "Call the others. I'm going after her." He nods before fumbling through the pockets of his jeans to get his phone.

I run out of the house, trying to catch a glimpse of her brown hair or the pale pink shirt she's wearing. The sun set is approaching faster than I'd like it to. If I don't find her soon she's going to be out in the cold for the night. I can just imagine her fragile body freezing underneath some tree.

The fear is expelled from my body as a rush of adrenaline shoots through my veins. I turn left and run up the street, hoping this is the way she went.

-----Rose's POV-----

"Rose! Rose! Come back!" Harry yells after me. I sprint across the road and towards the woods without looking back once.

I jump over a small log and dive into the woods. I yelp in pain as the back of my shirt gets caught on a branch. I tear it off and fall down on all fours. A stabbing pain runs through my leg and I notice a gash on my knee from a rock. I squeeze my eyes shut and take deep breaths. I've always been a bit squeamish at the sight of blood.

I get myself under control before getting back on my feet and continuing to run further back among the trees. I run until my legs are sore and I can barely breathe anymore.

I stop and collapse underneath a large tree with branches that seem to extend their hands towards me, as if it's offering me a warm embrace. The few leaves that are left on it tickle my face as I crawl towards the trunk.

I curl up towards it into a ball and cry. My chest heaves in between sobs and I pull my knees closer to my chest.

He never even cared. None of them ever actually wanted anything to do with me. I just want my family back.

I want to hug my Mom again and be able to smell her hair. And I want to hear to her sing me to sleep even though she was never a really good singer, but I always loved it. And I want to jump into my Dad's arms like I did when he got home from work. And I want to sit in his lap and just listen to him tell me confusing stories about his job that I will never understand.

And as annoying as my brother could be I just want to play games with him out front in the street with all the other kids like we did in the summer. And I want to meet the baby that Mom didn't have yet. I want to listen to it's cries and help take care of it. I want to dress up with it and protect it. I want everything back, but it's not going to come back. It never will come back.

Quit being so selfish, I scold myself while gently rocking back and forth.

"Rose! Rose, where are you?" Harry calls out, his voice becoming much clearer as he gets closer to me. I can't believe that he's all the way back here in the forest, I must've run for at least a mile. I hold my breath, waiting until I hear him get further away. It takes all I can to fight the urge to run out and forgive him for it, but I remind myself that he's just looking for me to save his butt in front of the press.