Chapter 7: Punishments and Bird Calls

A strong hand wraps around my shoulder and gives it a light shake. "Huh? Wha-? Who's there?" I murmur, sleepily.

Josh laughs from beside me, "The boys are home."

Despite having Josh's jacket wrapped around my shoulders, I shiver when a cold night breeze sweeps over me. "Its about time." I mutter.

I watch the five boys emerge from the limo, each one tipsier than the last. Liam walks over sober as can be, whereas Niall and Louis are bringing up the rear, singing very loud and very off-key for members of a popular boy band, leaning on each other for support. Harry and Zayn sort of stumble over, but they aren't nearly as bad as the two other clowns who are tripping over their own feet.

"What're you two doing out here?" Liam asks and even in the dim light I can see the shock on his face. The others stumble about without a clue as to what's going on.

Josh looks at the ground and guiltily admits, "We went out for ice cream and forgot a key. Sorry, mate."

Liam fishes through his pockets for the key as he walks towards the house, his expression is unreadable. What if he grounds me? I don't want to be grounded!

"Gosh you're stupid Josh," Liam says as he reaches us, surprising me with his attitude.

Josh smiles sheepishly, "My bad." I catch his eye and we exchange looks of confusion. Why is Liam okay with this?

I jump into his arms, "Hi Liam!" I make sure he sees my huge, cute smile before saying anything else. Is it that obvious that I'm trying to get out of trouble?

Josh coughs something that sounds a lot like, "Suck-up." I throw him a death glare before smiling at Liam once again.

Liam sets me down on the step beside Josh, "Ello, love. How was your night?"

"So much fun! Josh should babysit more often!" I grin, elbowing Josh's stomach playfully.

Liam nods and ruffles my hair. He turns to Josh, "For the future, I leave a spare key behind the shutter over here on a nail." He points to a window on the right and I can make out the glint of the key behind the black shutter.

"Oh, okay." Josh's voice is full of guilt, "Are you mad?"

Liam's face is concentrated on the shiny silver doorknob while he violently tries to stick the key in the lockhole. He finally unlocks it and swings the door open. He answers Josh, in possibly the scariest voice I've ever heard him use, "No mate, I'm furious." I think what makes him terrifying is how even his tone is, but I can still make out his blatant anger.

He holds the door open for us as we enter the warmth of the house. I feel like an ice cube melting in a scalding hot coffee mug.

"I can feel my toes again!" I exclaim, giggling.

Josh forces a laugh and says, "Why don't you head up to bed, Rose?"

"You don't have to tell me twice!" I say, running out of the room and up the stairs. It's almost funny how fast I fall asleep after my head hits the pillow.

********************

Harry

Everything's swirling around, like a pinwheel on a windy day. Zayn giggles into my shoulder and I join him, "God, we're so wasted!"

"I know!" He says laughing like I've just told him the funniest joke in the world. We lean on each other and stumble towards the front stoop.

Niall and Louis catch up to us singing an American country song that I recognize as 'Red Solo Cup'.