Chapter 17: Payback

----DAY 1----

From the moment I got up until now I've been planning. Nurse Langer gave me some spare paper and pencils from the front desk. The problem is that I'm having a hard time thinking of anything and now my paper is filled with little doodles of cartoon characters. I stare out the window, completely at a loss for what I should do to them. It looks so nice and peaceful outside, like the sun is shining at just the right height so that everything beneath it looks perfect. The trees are dancing back and forth in the light breeze and I can hear the birds chirping outside behind the window. The sound is muffled and I'm reminded that I'm inside. I'm laying in a very uncomfortable hospital bed and the walls are the same dull gray as the walls from my orphanage. Everything in here is cold and harsh, but out there it's warm and lively.

The latch on the door clicks and I look over in time to see Nurse Langer's head appear in the doorway, "Everything okay here?" I nod in reply and look back out the window again. 

"Are you sure?" She prods.

"I'm fine."

She smiles, "It'll get better, I promise. I can bring you some lunch later, okay?" I don't reply and she let's herself out.

For once, someone saw through the lie. She saw that I'm fine, that instead I'm broken. I truly hope everything does get better because right now everything is falling apart. Sure it'll be nice to get my revenge, but will that really satisfy me? Not exactly. It's just going to be a temporary fix and, like a bandage, it will eventually fall off.

And I'd be lying if I said I don't want to see the boys right now. I want to forgive them, but it's just hard. After all that's happened I just feel hurt and sad. They lied to me and I believed them. I believed each and every one of them. And two of them lied straight to my face. It's hard to regain anyone's trust after something like that.

There's a sharp knock on my door. "Come in!" I call out. The door is pushed open and who walks in but Liam. 

"Any chance I could talk to you?" He asks.

"Nope." I shoot back.

"Please?"

I shake my head, "Liam, I'm giving you two seconds to get out. I'll remind you that I tried to attack Harry yesterday and I could just as easily come at you." The words come out icy, like a slap in the face.

"Why do you hate us?" He asks innocently. It's almost as if I'm the older one in this situation and he's just a little boy asking something so harmless, but it comes out as something offensive.

"Please don't make me answer that," I plead. "You know why." His head drops and he slowly let's himself out. I know for a fact that he wants me to call him back in and to forgive him, and I have half a mind to do exactly that, but then it hits me. I know what I'm going to do for my revenge. 

- - -

I spend the next few hours finalizing my plans and trying to figure out where the heck I'm going to get all of my materials. It's probably going to be hard to explain why I need some clear plastic wrap and that orange liquid stuff that stains everything. I think the nurse called it iodayne or iodine.... 

Once I get everything the plan is to sneak out while everyone is sleeping and go into action. I know that they'll all be staying out there again because they have been continuing to try to talk to me against my will. The only problem I could think of is getting past the night guards because they will be all over the hallways.

"Alright, Rose. I've got your food right here!" Nurse Langer cheerily chirps to me. My stomach growls and my mouth waters at the sight of the food. Surprisingly the food at the hospital here is really good, I make sure to always ask for the mashed potatoes they serve because they are the best.

She helps me to clear away my papers before depositing the tray on my lap. I take a huge bite of the grilled cheese and some of the cheese dribbles down my chin, earning a giggle from her. Nurse Langer hands me a napkin and I mumble a thank you through the food. 

"Anything else I can get you?" She asks me.

Okay, Rose. It's now or never. I swallow quickly and nod. "Is there any chance I could have you get me some stuff?" 

"What kind of stuff, love?"

I look down at my tray, "Well I want to, er, prank the boys... And, um, I just wanted some of that, uh, orange stuff I saw and some plastic wrap, maybe? Please?"

She gives me a serious look,  "I'll get you those, but if you get caught I didn't give it to you, got it?"

My whole face brightens, "Are you serious?" She nods. I find a way to hug her without spilling my food all over the place, "Thank you!"

Nurse Langer stands up, "I have to leave now. I'll bring that by when I have a spare second. Please try not to get in trouble and keep that orange stuff off the floor! It stains the tile all the time!" She points at me trying to keep a straight face.

I put my hand up to my forehead and salute her, "Ay ay, Captain!"

She giggles, "Now eat, silly! I'll be back." The door automatically shuts behind her, leaving me to celebrate by myself. The plan is back in motion.

[A/N]  I promised a chapter a week afterwards and I didn't give that to you. It seems like these notes have become a long apology letter to you all now, but I truly am sorry. I just can't find the inspiration to write these chapters as quickly anymore and publishing them has become a struggle for me. As a little gift if any of you would like to read it I'll post a little excerpt to a story that I will begin posting sometime next month hopefully. I'm really excited for it and I hope you all are too! Secret word: doppleganger. 

Thank you all for your support! Your comments and votes always bring smiles to my face! And the way you all use the secret word in your comments make me laugh sometimes! The second part of this chapter should come out a little quicker than this one did! I love you all so much! Thanks again! ~Alex (: xxx