Chapter 1: Visiting Day

I live in an orphanage in London. Sounds super creepy, right? I mean, how many scary movies come to mind when you hear the words 'orphan' or 'orphanage'? Call me paranoid, but this place is just plain scary much like those movies. Might I add that the Nannies are more like cell guards in a prison than loving providers for abandoned and homeless children. I've learned that it's their way or the highway. Do one little thing wrong and you're grounded for a month at least. Like this one time, this brainless girl a year above me named Emma didn't eat her vegetables because she doesn't like them and Nanny Irene forced them down her throat, literally. I heard that Emma almost choked to death, but that's just a rumour, I think. Anyway, Emma got grounded for 2 months and had to do bathroom duty as punishment. Bathroom duty is the one chore no kid wants here because it smells like a sewer in there and countless kids have 'missed' the bowl, if you catch my drift. 

I roll out of bed and I make my it, like the obedient girl I am. Then I change into my pink frilly skirt and white shirt. This is the one day a year when the kids get to pick out their outfits, Visiting Day.
Parents from all over England come on this day, June 15th, to meet the kids at the orphanage. We have a huge chance to get adopted at this event and this year I am going to get out of here and break free, no matter what the cost.

One of the older girls, Lanie, comes over and puts my long brown hair into a braid down my back. "You look so cute! You're so going to get chosen!" she exclaims.

"You will too! I know it," I smile at her.

Her blue eyes gleam, "Don't tell anyone but," her voice drops to a whisper, "I've already been adopted."

"Really?"

"Mm-hm."

"That's great! You must be so excited!"

"I sure am! Anywhere's better than here."

'You said it," I agree.

One of the boys comes bursting in, panting, "She's... coming." That's one of the unwritten rules around this place, you're supposed to warn kids when the nannies are coming just to avoid trouble and whatnot.

When Nanny Clara comes into our room, I can't help but cringe at her dark unibrow. "Ladies, let's go. The adults are starting to arrive." She gives me a condescending glare as I walk past her. I return the look, but she doesn't appear to notice or care for that matter. 

I look back at Lanie who smiles at me and gives me a thumbs up, not following me out. She must be packing up now.

I go into the main room and sure enough couples of all ages are there mingling with children, hoping to find their future son or daughter.

I sit in one of the chairs by a few other kids. They're talking about what kinds of lies they would say in order to get out and be adopted. Yeah, it's that bad around here.

I listen in, but I decide to not comment in case one of the Nannie's is eavesdropping.
A woman taps me on the shoulder and motions for me to leave my social circle, I walk over to her by another one of the tables, "What's your name dear?"
"I'm Rose."
"Hello there, Rose. I'm Macy and this is my husband, Tom." She's a pretty young woman, probably no older than 35. She has a gentle face and light brown hair, like mine. The only signs of aging on her is a slight wrinkling around her eyes, probably from smiling often.
"Hi!" I say, putting on the cutest face I can muster.
"How old are you?" Macy asks with a closed mouth smile.
"I'm 11," I reply proudly. She looks taken aback, which isn't abnormal, I look a lot younger than my age with my small and skinny body.
"Oh, okay. What are your hobbies?" This question is forced and I know my chances of being picked by these two are slim.
"I like drawing, singing, and playing football." Just to clarify, it's football as in soccer... not American football.
"That's interesting. Well, it was nice to meet you, Rosie."
I force out, "It's Rose." Then I turn heel and stalk away, upset that she didn't even give me the time of day. Tears begin to sting my eyes. Don't let it get to you. That was the first couple you met. You'll find someone. I hope.
And sure enough, a bloke with curly brown hair and green eyes comes bobbing up to me with a look of concern on his face, "Whats wrong, love?"
I wipe my eyes, "It's nothing, I'm fine."
He bends down to my height, "Are you sure?"