Chapter 20: Fighting for Rose

Niall's POV

When I say that Liam is driving to the hospital like a bat out of hell I'm not exaggerating. Even Louis, who is notorious for getting speeding tickets, looks scared for a split second when Liam makes the final turn into the hospital and puts the car onto two wheels, almost flipping us over. That would've gone over well. Yeah, having One Direction crash a car right outside a hospital would go over real well with the managers. Liam swerves into a spot in one of the front spots of the parking lot.

Harry immediately jumps out of the vehicle and onto his bum, "Liam, you are not allowed to drive anymore!" Liam's arms fly into the air as if to say I didn't do anything wrong!

"I think I'm gonna be sick!" Zayn adds, jokingly. 

Liam rolls his eyes, "Shut up! It wasn't that bad!" He and Zayn bicker for a few moments before I butt in. I swear they're like an old married couple.

"Excuse me? Rescue mission in the works here!" I exclaim, waving my hands in their faces. They both look at me before grinning sheepishly, Zayn mutters a sorry to us.

Harry runs ahead and waves us over. We all crash in through the hospital doors. The hallway seems to pass by in slow motion and the fluorescent lights overhead light up everything with a cold grey glow. Please forgive us, Rose.

Liam hits the elevator button, but after a couple minutes of waiting I grab Harry's arm and we sprint to the stairs. "10£?" Harry asks, betting our usual wager. I nod and we line up at the bottom step. It's a bit odd that we decide now to race, but I have to win at least once! He's so uncoordinated I have no idea how he always beats me!

"Go!" I shout and together we run up the stairs, going two at a time. The third floor comes quickly and Harry narrowly beats me- one stair length to be exact.

"Crap." I mutter, reaching into my back pocket for my wallet.

Harry shakes his head, "No time for that!" He pulls me forward and through the door into the third floor. The other three step out of the elevator seconds later and we all rush towards Rose's room, running down the all too familiar hallway with the floor pounding beneath our feet.

"Excuse me! What are you boys doing here?" A doctor steps in our path, causing Zayn to stop short and everyone else to bounce into him. I have never seen this doctor before and I assume that he's new because after spending a week in the waiting room, you quickly become friendly with all of the doctors.

"Zayn?" Nurse Langer pops out of another room, her brown eyes are wide. "Oh! And the other boys are with you!"

Zayn nods, a bit frustrated, but asks, "Can we see Rose? We really need to talk to her."

Her head falls, "I'm afraid not, I'm sorry-"

Harry cuts her off, "Enough with this 'Rose doesn't want to see any of you' crap! We need to see her! Now." His mouth is set in a thin line and his tone is forceful.

"Nobody told you?" She asks, surprise is evident in her voice. The male doctor moves out of our way and Nurse Langer is the only one left in the hallway along with us.

Louis looks around at everyone with confusion, "Told us what?" He seems to think we all held information back from him, when that isn't the case. I know I'm just as baffled as he is.

"Rose went back to the orphanage two days ago," she informs us. "I'm really sorry." There's no way to hide my disappointment. I was expecting her to be laying in her bed, waiting for us with her million dollar smile. Her brown hair pulled back in a pigtail and her eyes full of amusement as Louis says something silly and stupid. And everything would be normal again. But she's not even here waiting for us. Rose is back at her least favorite place in the world because she couldn't stand to live with us again. And that makes me feel miserable.

"That's alright! I'm sure she'll still be there!" Liam says with an attempt at a hopeful smile, but even that falls short and just looks creepy on his face.

"Yeah. We can try." Even Louis' voice is sad and discouraged.