81. With Everything He Has

Rafe's hands were trembling, though he tried to keep them from doing so. The most hardened parts of him, raised rough in the streets of the Bowery, knew that to show weakness was to invite predators in - in this case, the predators being more fear and instability for his already tense children. He hadn't had the time to prepare that he would like, but if he wanted to catch up to Lili, he had no choice but to be satisfied with a rush job.

With the weaponry he'd unearthed from the attic, including the volatile concoction that was Greek Fire, he'd armed himself. Then he'd set about arranging things as quickly as possible. He'd called Michael - only to find that his brother-in-law was in a meeting of the magical council, forcing him to leave a message and hope that Michael and Wilamena returned before it was too late. He'd called Dena and told her to get a hold of Emma for him, because Emma actually charging her phone and answering it was a gamble. He'd called Richard and Clare and told them to stay safe. He'd called Abigail and told her to keep New York safe and Jake and Beetles out of trouble. He called every ally who would listen to him long enough to potentially help - King Robbie and Captain Anton, even Hugo Algernon. 

The response he got wasn't what he would have hoped for. Everyone was understandably concerned with their own safety and that of their families and friends. Everyone was confused about what resources to spare, what Robert had left, where in the world he was. Why they should put their fate in the hands of a desperate teenager and her equally desperate family.

Hugo Algernon had actually asked that. Rafe had replied, "because Lili's a goddamn Wibberly. And once upon a time, a desperate teenager who happened to be a Wibberly saved my life, and your life, and all of our lives when she defeated the Dire Magnus. So I'll throw everything I have behind Lili, and I suggest you do the same."

In the end, he got a few allies crowded in his kitchen. Captain Anton had agreed to come on behalf of the elves and Princess Wilamena, accompanied by half a dozen archers. King Robbie couldn't abandon his position, but he sent Haarald and a dozen dwarves. Hugo Algernon had grumbled and brought a flask, but showed up non-the-less. Dena had come, after leaving Emma a voice-mail, and brought two other trained warriors with her - her long-term partner, Frieda, and her long-suffering friend, Lee. It wasn't much, but it would have to be enough. Rafe would make it be enough.

He moved through the crowd, doling out extra weapons. Knives to Captain Anton and his two lieutenants, since the elves had only brought their bows. One knife strapped to his own belt. An extra sword for Dena, to go with her own falchion, and an extra sword for Haarald, in case the leader of the dwarves wanted a longer range weapon than his self-crafted dagger. He passed out the stones carved with protective runes, ordered everyone to stuff them in their pockets. He handed out a few of the explosive potions, too - but only to Captain Anton, Haarald, Frieda, and Lee. He didn't trust Dena with them, even in this situation. Maybe especially in this situation. The healing potions were given to all, and the Greek Fire, of course, stayed with him.

"Well, Mr. Dark and Terrible," Hugo Algernon called, when he finished supplying everyone, "where are we going to fight this good fight of yours?"

Rafe rolled his eyes at the nickname, but didn't rise to the bait, "good question, Dr. Algernon. I'll go check the maps we've managed to track Lili down on."

He ducked into the living room, the others trailing after him, slowly filtering in. While he had received the allies and armed them in the kitchen, Abby and Jake had been tasked with finding their sister. The pair had a collection of her things - her hairbrush, still with strands of her hair, her poetry notebook, a polaroid picture of the eldest Wibberly child and Eternity, taken by Michael - as well as a map of the world, a scrying bowl, and the Scroll of Souls surrounding them.