33. Seven Scrolls

Lili prided herself on knowing her family history, being able to keep all the surrealities and impossible moments ordered in her brain. She enjoyed being the historian and storyteller, who recalled the details that even her younger siblings forgot. So it was easy for Lili to look at the annoyed witch's ghost hovering in the study and remember the long and complicated history of the Countess and the Wibberlys.

Lili recalled the Countess's hunger for power, how she tried to use Cambridge Falls and the Wibberlys to get it. She thought about how the Countess had been sent back to Rhakotis, where she found the Reckoning as part of an elaborate plan filled with blackmail and vanity. And Lili also thought of the moments when the Countess had been an unlikely ally instead of an enemy; moments like when Emma journeyed into the land of the dead, and during the second battle of Loris.

Based on that history, Lili wasn't sure whose side the witch was on now; theirs, or Robert's. It could go either way, to be honest, and not knowing how this would turn out was terrifying. But one thing was constant in all the stories, the Countess only cared about herself. So no matter who's side she was on, she couldn't be trusted.

All this to say, Lili really wasn't pleased to see her here, where her beloved family was gathered.

The ghost was rolling her eyes, one hand on her hip, acting entirely too smug for Lili's taste. She drawled, "oh stop being so dramatic-"

"We're the dramatic ones? Have you met yourself?" Emma interrupted.

The Countess narrowed her eyes in annoyance, "as I was saying, I'm not here to harm you. Not that I could if I wanted to, being dead and in an agreement to not cause harm or else face being sent back to the land of the dead."

"Somehow, I don't believe you," Rafe said flatly, "now get out, and don't come near my family ever again."

"Didn't you hear anything that I've said!" Came through retort, "no, I suppose you don't believe me. Good instincts, you lot aren't as stupid as most. But despite our being enemies, most of the time, I have information you all are desperately searching for. You might as well hear me out."

"You have information about the scrolls?" Eternity questioned, her curiosity, impulsiveness, and most of all, stubbornness, causing her to blurt out the question.

Once more, the Countess turned to the pink haired teen. Lili growled low in her throat, not liking the contempt in that violet gaze. She put a protective arm around Eternity, even though the older girl could take care of herself. Sometimes, it was just better with two.

"Who are you?" The ghost asked softly, curiosity and hostility lacing her words as she took in Eternity's frizzy hair and ripped jeans and utter disregard for the Countess.

Eternity didn't seem phased by the intimidation tactic, "Eternity Time. I'm with the Wibberlys."

"What kind of a name is that?" The Countess wrinkled her nose.

"What kind of a name is The Countess?" Eternity fired back.

"My name, is Countess Tatiana Serena Alexandra Ruskin."

"Am I supposed to care?" Eternity drawled, unintimidated. She had heard about the Russian woman and her evil, of course, but that just made her more determined not to cower. Besides, it wasn't like she had anything to fear, not with Lili beside her glaring bloody murder at the ghost.

The Countess made a little "hmph" sound of displeasure, already not liking Eternity at all, and decided to turn back to the adults, "do you want to know about the scroll or not?"

"What's the catch?" Rafe questioned.

"And don't pretend there isn't one," Gabriel added, "we know you better then that."