19. Return To Cambridge Falls

They stayed on the island of Loris for one more night. Kate and Rafe hadn't even wanted to do that, but they weren't about to subject their children to another hop across the globe without more rest. So they slept through the night, and awoke grumpy but early to eat a quick breakfast of cereal before heading out. For their own sanity, the family avoided all members of the magical council, with the exception of King Robbie who apologized for the decision and declared he would have his dwarves prepare to defend the magical world even if the council wouldn't.

By nine thirty they were ready to leave, their few bags packed and shouldered, dressed in fresh clothes and hiding their frustrations for the moment. Eternity was even given one of Lili's black and white striped shirts, which was a little small on her, but it was thoughtful of Lili to loan it to her.

Michael, as well as Gabriel and Emma, were waiting in the courtyard for them. None of them were staying on Loris either. Michael was returning to Wilamena so he could help the elf queen prepare her people for what was to come. Emma and Gabriel were wasting no time in starting their hunt for Robert.

"You going straight home or what?" Emma asked Kate while Jake and Rafe worked on the portal together.

"We're making a stop in Cambridge Falls first," Kate replied, "the mansion there is filled with magical items, including protection stones meant to keep dwellings safe. I want to get a few for our house, even if Robert doesn't know where it is."

Gabriel nodded approvingly at the eldest Wibberly, "you can never be too careful."

"Agreed," Michael chimed in, "I'll be setting up protection charms for the elf colony myself."

"Good luck to both of you with that," Emma said seriously.

"Save they luck for yourself," Kate replied, pulling her sister into a one armed hug, "and call me of anything happens."

"You'll be the first to know," Emma promised.

"Alright!" Jake announced, "one portal to Cambridge Falls!"

Kate smiled at her son's talent, "wonderful. Let's get going then."

There was a brief flurry of movement as farewells were bidden to Gabriel and nieces and a nephew hugged their aunt and uncle. As Abby at last pulled away from Emma's hug, the warrior woman looked over to where Eternity stood picking at her nails, pretending not to be paying attention to all this.

"It was nice meeting you, kid," Emma declared with a nod to the teen.

Eternity smirked, "right back at you. Try not to annoy your ghost friend into a second death."

Emma barked out a laugh at this girl's sheer nerve, "wow. You're daring, alright."

Eternity's grin only widened at that. Michael didn't know much about Eternity yet, but he heaved a sigh. As if this family wasn't already stubborn and sarcastic enough. He silently wished Kate and Rafe good luck with that one.

Then another flurry of action swept over as Abby leapt through the portal, followed by her father, Lili and Eternity, one of them dragging the other along, though it was impossible to tell who at this point, Jake, and lastly Kate. The family and their newfound friend let the portal snap shut behind them as they left the aggravating isle of Loris behind, hopefully for a while.

Lili grinned as she took in the just beginning sunrise of the Eastern Coast of America. Little bits of light had just begun making their way through the windows into the kitchen of the Cambridge Falls mansion, where they had arrived.

The blonde turned to Eternity and pointed out the window at the road leading into town, the forest and mountains in the distance, "welcome to Cambridge Falls."