A L W A Y S / C L O S E

F O X C O O P E R

Her father stared at her, he looked confused and lost for words. Fox wanted him to speak, to tell her everything was going to be okay, to make her feel better but it seemed that his silence spoke volumes. "Dad," she whispered, she knew he probably couldn't hear her over the sound of the blades spinning but he'd definitely see her move her lips. 

She felt so alone as she heard nothing but silence. All the sounds around her disappeared as tears filled her wide eyes. Of all the people she wanted to believe her, her father was the only one apart from Lando that mattered. 

Maximillion shook his head as he looked at his daughter. 

"Max!" Eve's voice rang out, shouting above the sounds. 

Both father and daughter turn to look at her, Fox hoped Eve was here to help her, to stop her father from sending her away as she assumed. Maximillion left his daughter's side and approached his wife, putting an arm around her and pulling her close. Watching on with envy, Fox's lips pursed together in a thin line as she narrowed her eyes. 

She only wanted her father to let her be happy and for once in her life, she felt that way. 

With her father being distracted, leaning close and talking to Eve, Fox felt the jealously searing through her. The one moment she had her father's full attention and it had been taken away. 

Watching them, her father turned to look at the helicopter before waving it up, Fox looked to the helicopter as it started to rise and leave the ferry. Her father was a rich man and he didn't even need to say anything and people still did what he wanted. 

Once the helicopter had gone and the wind stopped thrashing around them, Fox pushed her hair from her face and glanced at her father. "What's happening?"

Eve walked towards the young blonde, Maximillion following behind. Fox stood awkwardly as Eve pulled her into a hug, "I can see the changes in you." The words felt good to hear. Eve had seen the way Fox looked earlier, seen the way she gazed off when she thought about the young man who had her attention. 

Putting a hand on Eve's shoulder, she turned and looked at her husband before stepping back and letting Fox's father speak with the young woman. "Lando is someone who I have a friendship with," he told his young daughter. "He is a nice, kind person who deserves happiness, Fox. I want you to know, whilst I might not be happy with the decision you two have made in having some kind of relationship, I will allow it. If you two have any reservations regarding whatever is happening between you, this is the time to end it. He might be my friend, and you are my daughter, but I will not sit by and see either of you unhappy."

"Does this mean you are okay with it?" Fox asked hopeful as she had a hint of a grin on her lips. 

Maximillion gave her a small nod. 

She smiled widely as she stepped forward and threw her arms around her father, hugging him tightly. She never wanted her dad to be unhappy, she only ever wanted him to love her and accept her for who she was. Giving her this small blessing felt like the father daughter relationship was turning a corner. 

"Seeing you happy matters to me," Maximillion told his daughter quietly as he wrapped his arms back around her. "You are so special to me," he let his feelings out. "I only want to protect you."

"Thank you, dad," Fox closed her eyes as she melted into him.

Returning to the main ferry lobby, Fox looked around wildly for Lando. She breathed quickly as she started to walk through the people, hoping to see him in front of her at some point. Many different people passed her by, celebrities, people she called friends but she couldn't see him anywhere. "Where is he?" She muttered to herself as she turned on the spot before she spotted him. 

There he stood, he looked directly at her. No one else mattered, she didn't see all the others around them as she stared at him. Whatever her father had said to him, she hoped it wasn't too much that he'd push her away. 

Her mouth opened slightly as she looked at him, her hands felt clammy as she took a deep breath before quickly strutting over to him. She put her arms around his neck as she got close to him, the two of them pulling each other close in an embrace. 

Without speaking, she placed her lips on his, closing her eyes as she felt him kiss her back. His lips were soft against hers as they felt like they were made for each other. The taste on his lips, on his tongue, was a hint of coffee and mint mixed together, it just tasted like him. 

There it was, Fox's true happiness. 

When she pulled away, she looked at him as his eyelids fluttered open and they looked at each other. "I'm so sorry," the words were quiet as they left her lips.

"Why?" He asked her with a smile. 

"For all this messing about," Fox told him. "For my father." 

He laughed it off, "Father's are meant to be protective of their daughters." Pulling her towards him again, he stroked her hair away from her face as he stared into her beautiful eyes. "And daughters always convince their father otherwise. He said you were were going home, yet here you are with me."

She nodded before grinning like a cheshire cat, "I wasn't going to miss our last night together."

Lando raised his eyebrows, "Our last night together?" He gave her a small confused look before smirking at her. "I thought we were going to have many more nights together?" He teased her, "We've not made all those plans for you to drop out now." He smiled at the young woman in front of himself. 

"You mean it?" She asked him, insercurity's shining through as she looked at him. 

Nodding his head, she looked at him noticing how sincere he looked, how handsome he was and that for once she didn't, they didn't have to hit how they felt. "Of course I mean it," Lando sighed happily, "I want you with me when we return to our normal lives."

"I'm never returning to what was my normal life," Fox took a deep breath. "I am much more content now than I ever was."

Lando slowly placed a kiss on her forehead before looking at the young woman in front of him. "You make me feel different, Fox. You make me feel like I am on top of the world, I don't want that feeling to ever go away." Fox didn't know but Lando felt anxiety like she did and that was what he was referring to. 

Fox looked up at him, there was only admiration and joy in her eyes. "You make me feel the same," she tells him. She tilts her head to the side and stares at Lando. 

"I'm not going to lie," Lando's voice was quiet as he leaned closer to her, his lip against her right ear. "I think," she heard him whisper, a shiver running through her body. "I'm falling in love with you."