The joy of being attached

Taehyung's heart raced. Though he had agreed, he did not know how to face Jungkook now. He broke free from his hug, and still holding on to his umbrella, continued walking forward by himself.

Jungkook followed closely behind him. After a while, he stepped up to Taehyung's side and took the umbrella from his hand. He used one hand to raise the umbrella and the other hand to grab his hand tightly.

Taehyung looked down at his feet. The rain had accumulated on the asphalt-black pavement and was flowing along the road in thin trickles.

Jungkook looked at his jet-black hair and asked, "Embarrassed?"

"Shut up."

Jungkook snickered. His low laughter held a faint, intoxicating charm that lingered on in the damp, rain-filled air.

Heat climbed up Taehyung's face. He felt that there must have been something wrong with his brain earlier. Why in the world did he agree...

He thought of pulling his hand back but Jungkook had a death-like grip on it. Fine, you win since you're so strong.

They walked in this manner for a distance before coming across a patch of uneven ground. The puddles were quite deep and Taehyung hesitated before them, unable to find anywhere to step on. Suddenly, Jungkook spoke, "Don't forget that you have a boyfriend now."

"...??"

Jungkook let go of Taehyung's hand and curved his arm around him. Using just that hand, he lifted Taehyung off the ground until his feet dangled in the air. Then, he crossed the puddle with one hand still on the umbrella and the other hand carrying Kim.

It was an unusual position to be in. Taehyung felt like a burlap sack being heaved in someone's arms. His face turned towards Jungkook, he watched him with a stiffened body and did not dare to move. Jungkook's side profile was striking. The unmistakable silhouette of his ear showed a well-formed shape that was like the Big Dipper... How could someone be so good-looking that even his ears are attractive...

Jungkook put Taehyung down after crossing the puddle. He lowered his head and looked at Taehyung.

He was looking at Jungkook as well. Their eyes met and in each other's eyes, they saw an endless stretch of stars.

Jungkook's lips curved. He put his palm on Taehyung's head and patted him.

Just like this, they returned to school. The fine rain continued the entire way back. Passers-by traveled with hasty steps while cars with moving windshield wipers sped past with splashes... It was a dull journey but it became a memory that Taehyung would remember even at the very end of his life.

He would forever remember how on this night when they decided to get together, they walked hand in hand in the rain. His heart pounded chaotically while his mind churned with a feverish whirl. Every step he took felt like he was walking on air. Some of the fine rain was blown under the umbrella and landed on their faces in scattered specks. Cool and crisp, it felt as if it was meant to cool the fervent heat on their cheeks.

The only romance in his entire life began on this ordinary yet unforgettable night.

——

Even after Jungkook returned to his dorm that night, his lips were still curved.

Donghee was biting on a hotdog that was half unwrapped. He stared at his computer screen, in deep concentration on his game.

Seeing two unopened cans of beer on his table, Jungkook took one, cracked it open, and took a swig.

Donghee lifted his sight off the screen to glance over for a quick second. He saw that Jungkook was all smiling while his eyes were dazed and rippled with unknown thoughts. Donghee was puzzled. "What's up with you?"

Jungkook shook his head while holding his beer. "You won't understand even if I tell you, single dog."

"..."