Ch 6. Daniel

"You found what?"- I nearly split out my iced americano that I was sipping onto.

"The west part was completely burned down, those zombie mutants and all. Funnily enough we found a child unscathed. And the child is speaking utter nonsense."- Death plopped down on my office couch.

Well, it'd be weird to call him just 'death', given our jovial relations since such a long time, it'd be just rude.

So, if I rephrase that 'Jeon Jungkook' plopped down on my office couch.

"Why what is the child saying?"- I set my coffee on the desk and looked up.

"That it was some woman!"

"Uh huh? A woman?"

"He's claiming that some woman saved him by putting the mutants on fire"

"By putting on fire you mean by using a lighter or lighting a match?"

"No I'm talking about conjuring up fire!"

A moment of sheer silence.

"Never heard of any woman conjuring fire except the girl in your dreams."

An eerie moment of silence passed by.

"Didn't I always tell you that she was real? Now, look, she's real! It can't be a coincidence that the child met someone like that. It has to be real. I must find the woman!"

"But what if it's a trick? A trick played by the dark sect? What if they somehow got to know about your desires and created an illusion of the fire woman?"- I deliberately tried to reason.

"How will anybody know about something so personal about which I only discussed with people in the closed circle of the council?"

True that. There's no way that such information would get outside.

"Daniel, trust me, it's her, I know what she did for me, she saved me too, just like she saved the child. I really want to find her!"- Jungkook pressed.

"Don't kid yourself, she couldn't have possibly granted life to you. Because you know that only Life can do that. Your heart stopped beating and she couldn't have turned that into beating again."- I had stood up from my desk.

"But what if she did? What if she did grant me life?"

"The God of Life can't be a woman!"- there I said it.

"Why? You never know!"- Kim Namjoon walked into my office.

In the heat of the moment I didn't even hear the knock on my office door.

I just gave a nod.

He is a part of the political sect nevertheless, so I prefer to not engage much with him.

We are the Gods.

And yet, how little freedom we have in matters related to the state.

We can't make an autonomous decision, because we need to get permission from the political sect first.

We can only do something when the political sect grants us permission.

It's gets really exhausting when you need to do something but you can't because some son of a boomer said so. The political sect is made up of the sons and daughters of the former political members of the previous social pattern.

And they have zero interest in the welfare of the people.

There are a few exceptions like Kim Namjoon. And he's greatly influential.

If anybody can overthrow this monotonous dysfunctional system, it'll be the God of Life.

The God of Life harnesses the power to bend anybody into doing whatever he pleases.

And certainly such an importantly powerful person can't be a woman.

Ever since that mishap a year ago, Jungkook sees some mysterious woman who conjures up fire in his dreams.

And to think that he thinks that the said woman will be the God of Life? That's the most absurd thing I ever heard.

How much of a great person can be a woman?

I've never met a single woman in the Divine Council who didn't want to sleep with me.

And certainly no woman is immune to my charms, the power of the God of Love goes a long way.

"Uh... Mr. Choi? You there?"- Namjoon's voice woke me up from my little bubble of thought.

"Yes?"- I sat up straighter.

"There's something that you must do. The political sect had deemed you to be perfect for the job"- Namjoon's voice was calm and steady.

I grit my teeth to brace myself for the impossible of a task being assigned to me.

Last time they made me eliminate the soulmate of one of their ex.

"You are to compete with the Agent Council in an operation next week."

I let out my breath- "An operation? Since when are the Gods going on operations? Isn't that something that the agents do? What are we doing this for?"

"For honor? It's to prove that the Agent Council is not something truly indispensable, and that the Divine Council can handle Operations well too."

I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

"You want the God of Love to go on an useless competition to prove something that doesn't make sense only to support your ego?"- I was incredulous.

"You know that you can't decline and maybe this will be the last time you'll have to deal with such orders, as you never know when there'll be a change."- He had a strange expression on his face.

One thing that I had realized over time is that, Namjoon might have been the part of the political sect but he never associated himself with them.

So maybe he knows something that we don't.

"Fine I shall do what you say"- I frowned.

"What's the operation about tho?"- Jungkook popped up from the couch.

"Oh it's really simple!"- Namjoon smiled.

Okay.

So this is going to be everything but simple.

Why did I put myself into this again?

...........................................................................

** don't forget to vote and comment **