Ch 23. Ava

"Uhh... so?"- I mumbled when this Terry guy didn't move for a whole minute.

He was probably having a moment, and that's what it looked like as he stood in front of some common area with staff workers, totally zoned out and staring off at a blank glass panel.

"Oh, yeah, right!"- He said after clearing his throat and shaking his head.

I blinked twice, waiting for him to continue.

Why did Tiffany have to make me do this task?

Is it because she thinks I'm extraordinary at making rational observations?

I could've set up a computer program, she wouldn't have needed me in flesh to assist her.

But what's done is done, and now I have to follow this guy around so that I can gather any Intel that can be found helpful.

This is exhausting.

"So, let me show you around a bit and then we can get lunch."- He said loosening his black satin tie.

As much as I had wanted to scream and say no to him.

I gave a polite nod.

There goes my chance at having lunch in peace by myself.

This one is on me.

Only if I could stop being a people pleaser and say a flat no to him.

"So, this is the common working area for House Love and it's just the common staff here."- He said as he looked at the area behind the glass panel packed with work desks with piles of files and people busy on their workstations.

House Love is really a cool place.

People here look a lot casual and less stern than other Houses.

Except the man frowning beside me.

I wonder who pissed in his cheerios, this man always looks like he's in a bad mood.

"The matchmakers often like to freelance so they don't really use their space, so it's only the usual staffs here and the executives."- His voice held no amusement.

I get it that he's not really charmed about helping me out but this is really getting annoying.

As if I wanted to do this with him.

I sighed.

"Executives? People like you?"- I tried to make it sound as polite as possible, but I may or may not have rolled my eyes.

Oops!

He looked at my face but decided to not bring it up.

"Yes, we are like the second in command in this office after the God of Love."- His explanation was so dry.

Drier than my humor.

"Hey, Terry!"- Someone's hand patted Terry's shoulder so hard that he let out a loud oof and turned to look at them with a super annoyed expression.

"Jake can you just not?"- Terry rolled his eyes at the dude with an aussie accent and eyed the other man standing beside him with a huge grin plastered on his face.

"Hey man! How have you been? Haven't seen you around in a while!"- That Jake guy continued to grip onto Terry's shoulder.

Terry's pained expression was hilarious.

I didn't notice the guy beside him much, not until I felt his eyes on me.

"Hey I'm Heeseung Lee! Nice to meet you!"- It didn't take him a complete three seconds for him to speak up as soon as my eyes met his.

"Oh hi! I'm Ava Dawson."- I kept my response clipped short as always.

"Yes, she's Ava from the Dark Crown."- Terry stated looking at him and then turned his head to look at me.

I sucked in a sharp breath.

Meeting new people is surely a daunting task.

"And they're two of the executives from House Love."- Terry could barely complete his sentence before Jake almost pushed Terry out of his way and smiled at me.

"Hey just call me Jake! You're a hacker I've heard?"- Jake's enthusiasm was wholesome but tell that to my socially anxious brain.

"So, can you hack into my heart?"- Heeseung winked at me which earned a big eye roll from Terry and a frowning Jake.

"Shut up!"- Terry nearly gagged.

"Yes, let the expert do the talking! Do you like the theory of relativity?"- Jake's voice followed a couple of groans.

"Relate...what?"- Sorry to say physics was my least favorite subject after Algebra.

"Theory of Relativity!"- Jake's eyes sparkled even more brightly while I saw Terry and Heeseung facepalm from the corner of my eyes.

"Uhh...no?"- My voice was getting smaller and smaller.

"Dude, you gotta chill! I don't think that computer people worry about those physics theories!"- Now it was Heeseung who was trying to push away Jake.

Terry was standing behind them with a blank expression on his face.

Or maybe he was pissed.

But then again when is he not pissed.

"So, as I was saying, how about you hack into my heart?"- He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

I just blinked.

My stupid brain always shuts down at times like this.

If it had been Olivia or Sasha, he'd have already been disintegrated into dust.

But I'm neither Olivia nor Sasha.

So, I don't have any fiery reply on the tip of my lips.

"Wanna grab a drink with me? I'm free!"- His grin held a form of challenge.

But I'm not into challenges.

"Sorry, I don't drink."- I said curtly.

"Hey, if you have time for a drink, you better track those staff performances and organize the next batch of files!"- Somehow Terry had appeared too close to Heeseung which made him flinch.

A series of excuses and whining requests fell out of Heeseung's mouth while Jake just stood there smiling.

When Heeseung left the space, Terry rested his eyes on the smiling Jake.

"Hey man, you can't tell me anything, i already completed my weekly goal and I have other places to be!"- Jake said as he glanced into his watch.

"Yeah alright!"- Terry said as he came and stood beside me, his fingers slightly brushing mine.

My breathing turned weird.

"You look happy mate!"- Jake said to Terry as he turned on his heel and walked off.

When I looked up at Terry's face, it was weird.

Why is he red?

...................................................................

*** don't forget to vote and comment~ ***