Chapter 15: Lady of the House

The studying and training went for about a month, you were showing great improvement and both Vul and Meta Knight thinks your long days of training will come to an end.

You still had so much to learn on academics, Meta Knight has been teaching you well, he gives you a kiss whenever you pass his tests, how nice!

"What subject are we learning again?"

"Well it's Thursday so it's history, help me grab some books."

You always start your lessons by collecting books related to the lesson, you both manage to always get piles of them

"..gah!..You seem to like history alot Meta Knight" you almost ran out of breath by carrying 10  stacked books to the desk.

"We don't really need all of them sweetie" He said as he giggled

Meta knight immediately sat to his seat and crack opened the book stacked on top,
"Planet popstar: History of the star shaped planet"

"Do you find history interesting?"
He asked.

"Mhm! I really do, especially the origin of planes and how things came to be."
You never knew history was very intriguing, you're almost never allowed to read in the master's personal library back then.

"I find history interesting too, that answers why I have alot of books about it."
Meta Knight flipped through the pages to find a topic, he came across the page, "Wars in Popstar"

"Hm.." he hummed as he read through the paragraphs.

"Everything alright?" You asked, you saw his face turn into despair,
He immediately closed it and placed it away.

"How much do you know about the war y/n?"

"The war...4 years ago?"

"Yes the one where I was deployed."

"Well I heard it was a big magical fight between the people of the sky and Dreamland but...we won right?"

"That's what they made you think y/n..."

"What do you mean?"

"We didn't actually "win" the battle, we surrendered." His face looked down in shame

"Please tell me what happened..." You held his hand.

"As the battle happened in the sky, the army was quickly losing numbers, some of them are..my friends, our leaders decided to give in and offered our enemy billions worth of gold just to have a temporary truce."

"Does that mean...all of your friends died for nothing?"
His glow of his eyes disappears, you saw him shake in fear.

"The...the temporary truce means we give them millions of gold every year by increasing tax, I donated heaps of money to fund the truce, that's why I don't see fit to hire professional chefs or more housekeepers, and why your pay was so small...I'm sorry"

The downfall of the economy was a result of the government surrendering, the reason you couldn't save enough for your own place was because of it.

"No no no shhhhh" you tried to calm him down, you embraced him and held his hand.

"I remember...a good knight, a friend, died for my sake, he has a family to come back to. When I found out about the surrender I almost, killed myself, it should have been me. I do not deserve to live" you saw tears crawl out of his mask, you placed his mask aside and wiped them

"I'm sorry you had to experience that, but you know, if there's anything your comrade in heaven wants, it's for you to be happy, don't let his sacrifices be in vain. Use your life to save others." You stared directly on his eyes and gave him a warm embrace.
Meta knight had a long thought of what you said, he acknowledged it and calmed down, his eyes glowed once again.