Ch. 32

"This is her first time using a surfboard. She was about 4, her persistence was beginning to peak as you can see, she refused to wear anything but her life vest."

"Ma! That's not really an ideal photo to bring to show and tell," I drunkenly scolded my mother, more embarrassed as she flipped through countless photo albums.

I huffed, chewing on my food and watching as everyone gathered at the end of the table to swim in my shame.

Well, everyone except for Avery.

My eyes flickered to her, watching as she focused intently, sticking olives onto the tips of her fingers. I refrained from laughing, placing an olive into my spoon and angling it as you wpuld a catapult.

"Hey!-" I laughed as Avery turned to me, a scowl on her face as the olive hit her in the eye.

Her whispered threats began as she pointed her olives at me, which only caused for more laughter.

She glanced between me and the occupied individuals, making sure no one else was paying attention, before she took her spoon and pulled it back, loading it with a pea.

I watched as she let go, her distorted finger causing it to relapse and shoot her in the same eye.

By now I was wheezing at her failed attempt of revenge, her palm in her eye as she began to giggle too.

I met her eyes....eye, both of us trying to battle quietly at each other. Who am I kidding, we're as subtle as hyenas.

"Ow!" I laughed more as she launched an entire bread roll at my head, causing all the others to put a haul at what they were doing.

I met eyes with Harry, a slight smirk as he crossed his arms.

"What are you two doing?"

Avery cleared her throat, casually sucking an olive off her index finger.

"Clearly, we're very busy calculating the velocity at which food flies."

My quick response caused Avery to choke on her food, tossing her head back as she simultaneously died and chuckled.

It was a circle of life kind of thing, we were absolute idiots and once we started we couldn't stop.

Harry refrained from laughter, as Avery coughed up a follow up answer.

"Yes, yes it's a very important project. more important than NASA Harry. You wouldn't understand."

We both stared down at our plates, shoving food into our mouths as we continued our amused fits. My mother laughed, all too familiar with the idiocracy that Avery and I bring to the table, quite literally.

"I think, you've both had quite enough to drink."

"Does that mean I can't have water?"

My mother gave me a dead set stare, finding herself stuck with a headache of a child I'm sure.

"Luna, too much alcohol to drink. You can have anything else but that."

I grinned sheepishly and excused myself to the kitchen area, searching the fridge...you know, just in case I wasn't feeling it with the water.

"You are something else."

I peered behind the fridge door, humming in response to Harry's frequent words.

"You want some juice Har?"

He chuckled, nodding his head as he stood closer to my side.

I pulled out apple juice, and stood below the glass cabinet. Staring defeatedly at what I could reach, had my arm not been uncooperative.