Ch. 18

"Hey Har, have you seen a brush in here- Harry?"

I walked into the kitchen, the aroma of lunch foods filled the air. But no sign of Harry.

I walked around the complex, repeating his name until it was confirmed that he had vanished.

Also his shoes were gone.

I sat down at the counter and picked at the foods he'd made. Popping a potato into my mouth, I huffed, realizing he hadn't even finished making the lunch.

Nothing says romance like a partially made meal and an empty place.

Maybe something urgent came up, or maybe he just decided not to-

"Mum, I've only just got back this morning."

"Yes- ye- mum yes. I am back yeah," Harry waltzed through the door, bags in both hands and his phone tucked between his ear and shoulder.

His eyes darted to me, a small toothy grin appearing at sight which made me counteract.

He walked towards the kitchen after kicking the door closed, and set down his bags.

He drew away from the phone for a brief moment, smiling fully as he handed me a flower.

"Hello love," he says and presses his lips to mine ever so sweetly before returning back to his call.

I smiled and brought the flower to my nose. This time it was a single, deep orange colored rose.

It was amazing, and I couldn't help the butterflies that surrounded my heart.

"Mum, I've got to finish making lunch. Yeah she's here with me-why?"

I looked at Harry, who was leaning all of his weight on the opposite side of the counter.

"Mum-" I watched as he sighed and nodded his head then handed the device to me.

Eyeballing him and the phone, I drew my eyebrows into a pinch as he just stood there.

"Why are you giving me that?"

He chuckled and set it in front of me, "she wants to talk to you."

Just as those words left his mouth, I could start to feel those butterflies morph into more of a moth like being.
Less of a gentle flutter and more of a hindered reaction to light where they chaotically flail.

I set the flower down and hesitantly reached for his phone. I felt slight remorse, leaving his mother on like that, but in all fairness, the only parents I've been good with are my own.

"Hello?" I breathed out.

"Hello sweetheart, how are you?"

Her voice came out very soft, just as Harry's did.

"Oh I'm really good, thank you. How are you Mrs-" I've blanked.

I didn't know a single thing about her other than she's got two kids and was divorced and remarried.

"Please, call me Anne. I'm doing well, it's been quite nice today, I'll tell you, the weather has been so lovely here."

I couldn't help the small grin as she casually went on about the England weather.

"That's really great. It's been pretty indecisive here, one minute its raining and the next it'll be sunny and eighty out."

She laughed heartily as I joked about LA. All the while, deep down I was still somewhat nerve wracked that she was speaking to me.