13

Emil's POV:

Subspace is something I've heard of before, as humans experience it during intense sex and Omegas are actually prone to it when they feel safe and are in heat. I never thought it would be so easy for Matteo to fall into, but I'm assuming that's what he's experiencing right now.

He's not fully conscious, but he's not asleep either. He is just... not aware and is curled up against me, breathing slowly. The one thing I do know about this is that I cannot leave him or he could drop when he comes back from his subspace.

Matteo moves a bit, trying to get his nose even closer to my neck and scent, so I move him a bit to appease his desire. He settles down even further, breathing against my neck and purring nonstop.

After forty five minutes of coming down, I feel Matteo move in a way that shows me he's awake and not just twitching. He kisses my neck and blinks to try to gather an understanding of his surroundings.

"Welcome back, baby boy," I say, kissing his lips. "How are you feeling?"

He's still blinking and trying to figure out where he is. "Mmm... good," he mumbles, sighing deeply and stretching. "My cramps stopped for now... the peak of his heat is going to be horrible."

I pet his hair. "I'll take care of you, it will be alright."

"Did I fall asleep?" he asks me after a few minutes of me petting his hair and him purring. "Because I didn't feel in focus but I don't think I was sleeping either."

"No, angel, it was just you going into subspace. Do you know what that is?"

Matteo nods. "Yes, my mom told me about it when I was younger," he says, and I see a hint of longing in his eyes. "She told me I'd probably never experience it though because it was a low chance I'd actually end up with my goddess given mate."

I frown and scoop my baby boy up. "I'd have kept searching for you my whole life... and if you were with someone else, I'd have still done whatever it takes to make you mine," I whisper, kissing his forehead.

Matteo's cheeks are permanently red, which is a cute color on him even if he's ashamed of how shy and embarrassed he gets. As I'm preparing to push him back down into bed and show him how much I love and need him, my phone starts ringing.

My little mate snarls at the sound. "I thought you were supposed to be off the whole time I was in preheat and actual heat?!" he growls, grabbing my phone and his anger only worsens when he sees it's a work call and not one of our friends. "Answer your stupid phone, I'm going to the bathroom."

"Baby, they wouldn't call unless it's important-"

Matteo slams the door, cutting me off.

I sigh in defeat and answer the phone. "This better be an emergency," I growl. "Because thanks to your call, I now have an angry Omega who's in heat on my hands and I have to deal with your bullshit call."

My personal assistant, Danielle, is on the other end of the phone. "I'm sorry, sir, I just got off the phone with Lorenzo Marino and he asked me to call you as soon as he passed his message to me. It's about the man who ordered the attack on Matteo and kidnapped Everest."

My heart starts beating faster. "What about him?"

"He has been sighted in Italy, but there have been no successful captures because he moves too quickly and has been mostly staying out of the camera viewpoints. He looks to be moving north, so Lorenzo has asked that you put a specialized team on finding him, and I can get that moving, but I need your permission first."

"Do it," I say, sighing in frustration. "Put a big team on it, and I want Lukas Bauer leading it. Contact me if it's an emergency, but other than that, I need to be left alone."