21

Emil's POV:

When I get home, I see my two men assigned to watch the house are bickering. They both seem very tired and very frustrated.

"What is going on with you two?" I demand, narrowing my eyes. "I don't pay you to argue in front of my house, I pay you to patrol."

"We just got back from patrolling around the house, sir," the younger of the duo says. "There was a young pup scavenging around your home earlier, and we tried to catch him but your mate told us to leave him alone."

"Is that what you two are arguing about?"

"Yes, and now we cannot find him," the other guard says in annoyance. "We were trying to keep him off of your property, if you'd like to have a word with your mate-"

I cut him off. "Or, maybe, you two could not chase a scared child around? Do you think it will be easy to chase him away if he's hiding on the property to get away from you?"

The two look a bit sheepish and I huff in annoyance.

"If you see the pup-"

"Your mate has already ask that we tell him."

"Good," I say, opening the front door. "Have a good evening."

As soon as I'm inside, an unfamiliar scent wafts into my nose. I'm instantly on edge, scared for my little mate, and I rush to the bedroom where his scent seems to be the strongest right now. When I get there, I snarl for a brief second before seeing my mate laying in our bed, cuddling a small child who's eyes have snapped open, likely as a result of my growl.

"It's alright, relax," Matteo murmurs, ruffling the child's filthy hair. "Emil, relax on the intense Alpha hormones. You are scaring him."

I force myself to calm down and sit at the end of the bed, watching the child whine and cuddle closer to my mate.

"He needs us, Emil," Matteo says, a begging undertone coming through in his voice. "I think he was cast out of his family... he's scared of people in general and he has not eaten in a long time... don't make me give him up."

I lay my hand on Matteo's foot, careful not to get too close to the pup, since he looks all of three seconds from running off and hiding. "Angel, I would never do that to you, but we need to give him a bath. I don't want you or him getting sick because he is covered in filth."

Matteo's smile lights up the whole room and he gently moves the pup to climb down the beg and hug me tightly. "I love you so much," he whispers, kissing my lips. "Come on, little one."

The pup doesn't move, watching me warily.

"It's okay," Matteo says, holding my hand and leaning against my chest. "He won't hurt you."

He doesn't move any closer, but the tension seems to leave his body. At least he doesn't look like he's about to sprint away and hide because I know that would stress Matteo out.

"I will go call the chef about making us a meal, and I will ensure that it is something gentle on his belly," I say, knowing that Matteo will have an easier time bathing the little guy if I am not around. "He looks to be around four... it is strange he has not spoken at all. Did he say anything earlier?"

Matteo shakes his head. "That may be why he was outcasted from whatever family or pack he belonged to," he murmurs, watching the pup carefully. "He's going to present as an Omega, I guarantee. They tend to be the ones who have these kinds of problems while they are young... we need to take him to a doctor to see why he doesn't speak. Maybe he is just shy."

I know he's being optimistic, but I fear that the little one is truly just mute. Before I leave, I make sure my mate has plenty of towels and I start the bathtub.