22

Matteo's POV:

My feet are killing me; it has been two months since we took in our eldest child, whom we named Elias, after Emil's father. Since then, my stomach has grown a lot and we have learned that we are having another little boy, so we need to brainstorm even more names.

My belly has finally started growing, and I am happy to say that I am almost a third of the way through my pregnancy. I love carrying this little one, but I am exhausted a lot of the time and my feet are really sore.

Elias is indeed mute, and not by choice. When we took him to the doctor, they did their examinations and we learned he had damage to his vocal cords, so he is able to laugh and scream, but forming words is not in the foreseeable future for him.

They could improve as he ages, but we will not know. So, for now, Emil and I have a tutor come to our house three nights a week to teach the three of us sign language in English, German. and Italian so that we can communicate in all three of our primary languages.

Elias is a bright child, and since he is so young, he picks up quickly. He is still a bit hesitant around others, but he loves Matias and Everest. He is also fond of Nikolas, but Andreas scares him because he is one of those silent Alphas who does not show much emotion. Plus, it is difficult for Elias to communicate with anyone outside of myself and Emil, though Everest and Matias have been trying to learn German sign language as well.

Even though Elias can hear us and understand us when we speak verbally, I know that he will feel more included if we are all signing while we speak, since his only form of communication is sign.

"Oh, angel," Emil coos, looking at my miserable expression. "Would a hot bath help? I can take Elias on a walk toward the city for a bit while you rest."

I nod tiredly. "I love our pup, but some time to myself would definitely be nice."

Emil prepares my bath, letting me know that he will have our normal guards watching the house while he and Elias go on a walk. It'll get some energy out of our little one so he will sleep through the night. He does not share our bed anymore and spends most of the night in his own room, but he often comes into our room early in the morning for cuddles.

Elias comes into the bathroom and signs "goodbye, daddy!" in German sign language, and I blow him a kiss and sign "have fun" while saying it aloud as well.

I close my eyes and sink into the tub, my hands on my belly. I gently rub the flesh and smile.

"Soon we will meet, little angel," I whisper, rubbing the slowly growing bump.

As I am trying to relax fully and lose myself in a comfortable headspace, I hear what sounds like shouting and some kind of fighting. Even with the guards, there shouldn't be any sounds because we have very little reason to be under any kind of attack. The sound of a pained yell makes my blood run cold.

Now that the idea of an attack is living in my mind, I'm too anxious to relax and I get out of the bath. I wrap my robe around myself and grab my phone, dialing Emil's number. Even if it's a false alarm, I need him here.

"Is everything alright, love?" Emil asks, and he sounds relaxed and happy, which makes me feel even worse.

"I heard sounds outside," I whisper, hiding in the closet. "And someone sounded like they were in pain."

Emil inhales sharply. "Matteo, where are you now?" he asks, and I try not to completely panic when I hear the fear in his voice. "I am going to leave Elias at the Mayer's in the reception area, but then I will be home."

"I'm hiding in the closet," I whisper, burrowing myself deeper. I feel nauseous as footsteps echo through the building.

It's the chef's day off and any of the guards would have called my name.