15

Emil's POV:

Matteo's heat ending is nice because I like that he's not in pain anymore but it means I'm back to working and have to leave Matteo for long periods of time while I'm in my office. He's spent a lot of time on the couch in my office and paces the house a lot.

Thankfully, he met that boy at the meeting I sent him to, so he's not lonely today. The boy, Nikolas, is a sweet Omega and I can see him as being a great friend for my little mate. His mate, Andreas, works in the city and was thankful that I told him Nikolas is welcome to stay with us during the day to keep Matteo company.

Nikolas seems to have difficulties making friends as well and has past trauma that holds him back, but he was stuck at home and was extremely bored in the same way Matteo was. He showed up here around nine this morning, and it's almost noon.

Almost time for me to take a break and go spend some time with my angel. All of the work I received during his heat is kicking my ass right now, especially since I'm contacting Lukas' team to see what updates they have on the one man I want dead more than anyone.

I texted Matias during one of the moments when Matteo was asleep, and he already had gotten word from Lorenzo. His guard is up as high as mine, and I've instructed some of the people who work for me to keep an eye on Matias and Everest. I'm sure that Matias and Everest are among the first that Adrian would attack.

There's a knock at my office door and I call for whoever is on the other side to come in. My chef opens the door and lets me know that lunch is ready and that Matteo is refusing to eat until I go out there and eat with him and Nikolas.

I sigh in part annoyance and part amusement before getting up from my seat. When I enter the dining room, I see Nikolas has already started to eat but my little brat is crossing his arms, refusing to touch his food.

"It's disrespectful not to eat a lunch that took so long to eat," I joke, making Matteo's face brighten when he hears my voice. "How was your morning, boys?"

"Good," Nikolas says shortly, not looking up at me and pushing his käsespätzle around with his fork.

Matteo seems a bit concerned but he doesn't comment on Nikolas' sudden silence and retreat into his shell.

I sit to the right of my mate and make sure Matteo has started to eat before I do. Even though he has gotten much better with eating, he still eats much less than I do and can stop eating altogether if he gets upset or overwhelmed.

"We're going to go swimming after lunch," Matteo tells me, pushing around his food. "But Nikolas doesn't have a swimsuit and I don't have an extra, so could we go to the boutique downtown? The one that's only a mile away?"

I purse my lips.

Matteo knows that Adrian is heading north, heading toward where we live most likely, and I don't want him out without me. Even with guards, I can't feel safe unless I'm with my mate and protecting him, like I failed to do before.

"I'll walk you two," I say, shooting a glare at my mate when he tries to protest. "Matteo, I'm not letting you go out unless you're with me. You know that."

"You have guards for a reason," he mumbles, and I reach under the table to pinch his side and make him squeak. "Okay, okay, I get it."

I pet his hair and notice that Nikolas is still staring at his plate and not at me. "I don't know much about you," I say, attempting to make conversation. "Where did you and Andreas meet?"

Matteo elbows my side and I'm annoyed at first but then I see him shaking his head, desperation in his eyes.

"I think I'm receiving a call, if you'll excuse me," I say quickly, leaving the room.

Shattered Scarsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें