"Just try..... please"

Mara's POV:
We trained HARD. Well my friends did I just couldn't use my powers no matter how hard I tried and after every attempt to use my powers and I went over my limit of pushing it, I always got a heavy nosebleed in BOTH!! Nostrils but I can fight better than before since I trained with Steve. Yea he's mentally old but physically at least 20-30?, idk. But specifically one day when we were training I got caught of guard and I fell on my ass and I thought Steve was going to strike but he was just lending me his hand and I guess on instinct I activated my powers and he got thrown across the training room into the wall. "Shit! sorry" I helped him up and thankfully he wasn't hurt, neither was I, but the wall was destroyed. After everyone was laughing even Steve, "Well you finally used your powers, that mean training must be helping" he than stood in front of me and placed both his hands on my shoulders and said "look don't sweat it, this just means you're getting a grip on your powers and by the way; if you're going to move an opponent try tossing them into the ceiling to knock them out. If you toss them in a wall someone could be on the other side and that's a dead give away" I giggled and said "I'll remember that"

After that weeks went by with training and finally I started going down to the training room at night to try and use my powers and one day I saw Steve training too so I just said 'screw it I'll do this tomorrow' but I theme heard Steve say "I see you Mara" I slowly turned around and said "sorry..." he then said "relax I know you've been coming out her to train at night", "wait- but how?" I said in and embarrassingly high voice he then raised he finger and said "I check the camera footage every day" I put my hands up and say "we'll you caught me" I made it down the steps and sat down and asked "so why are you up then?" Steve looked back at me and said "had to get something off my mind, you?" I stood up and said "yea same" Steve set down his shield and asked "I saw on the video footage you have been trying to use your powers" I didn't want to admit it but what point in lying "oh... yea it's getting a little bit easier" I heard Steve hum and then say "have you tried something a little heavier?" I said "yea I tried lifting the punching bag but it felt like lifting a whole building" he laughed and handed me his shield "why did you hand me your shield?" I asked while looking at his shield "try tossing it to me" he took some steps back but I then said "wait how?" He then said "try tossing it like a frisbee but on your wrist instead of your hand and tossing it" I stepped back and gave it a try it went far enough but landed in front of his feet. Steve started laughing a bit and I said "Hey you gave the worse instructions ever don't laugh" after Steve lifted his shield and helped me with tossing it and I finally did it. "You should try lifting my shield" I looked at him like he just said the most craziest thing and I caved and said "okay fine but if I don't you owe me", "okay deal" I then looked at the shield and just kept telling myself to 'focus' or 'just lift the shield'. I hugged in frustration and turned to Steve and said "I can't" he walked over to me after I sat down and he said "well what's stopping you?" I looked up from my feet and back to him and said "I- I don't want someone to get hurt or killed that's why I've been here, at night, Alone" he looked around and then he stood up and said "then I'm not here", "What?" I don't know what he's talking about now. "I'm not here" he then left the room and confirmed it by the door closing. I still sat there and Watched the shield like a hawk and I just thought about it floating so I could get the training done but I snapped back to reality when I heard the vibration from the the shield. It shook violently as it started to rise in the air and spin but quickly fell back to the floor after I heard "Well done" I turned and saw Steve leaning against the wall I looked at him and back at the shield and sighed "look I know. It's like I can't do anything with someone else in the room-" but Steve cut me off by saying "yea it's like stage fright, right?. Can't do anything because you're afraid that it's not going to go right" well he read my mind, "uh yeah" he hummed and said "well...when I got stage Instead of thinking about a bad out come I thought about something I found funny happening or a good outcome" well I guess he was right. Wait, stage fright , what would Steve do to get stage fright "wait what did you do? That caused stage fright" he shut that down immediately "no, nope not answering" he waved his hand like swatting away a annoying bug. I started laughing as he chuckled. "Look I know it seems impossible sometimes and you seem like a kid who only does things she needs but..... I can see it. You care, you care about your friends and about the people around you. The day we caught the four of you. You could have chosen to fight me in the street but you didn't. And I know because you were careful of the people around you" I looked back at him, I mean I know that I care but I also don't want people to get hurt because of me or my actions. I've been through a lot. From watching my parents explode to being a soldier lab rat to running around town with my friends trying to stay safe, and they know when it comes down to my powers it's some kind of large wall that stops me. On one hand I'm trying while on the other I'm not trying because I'm expecting the worse and that is what I get sometimes....

     "Just try. If not for your friends, Try for yourself"
                          "Just try....... please"
                                      -Steve