~ Chapter 8 ~

TW: mention of drugs

(Rose POV)

Nothing had really changed. Maggie and the vet were still working on it. I don't know a lot about cat birthing, like I said, so I don't know what they were doing.

At this point it was 11 p.m. so all I wanted to do was lie down and sleep forever.

I put on an oversize hoodie from my ex-girlfriend. She might have left me but I was never gonna give her her hoodie back.

Which was mainly because it was her favorite one but also because I liked the colour.

I walked back to the kitchen, where I found Em looking through our fridge. When she heard me, she turned around and closed the fridge.

"I wasn't-" "I know." I just smiled at her and opened the fridge myself to get some yoghurt.

Emily yawned behind me. "Do you wanna go to bed?" I asked her.

"Yeah I guess... where can I sleep?" she said, sounding pretty tired.

"Just... sleep in my bed. I'll just take a mattress or something like that." I said and opened my yoghurt.

"Thanks." Em said and hugged me from behind.

She skipped off happily and I got out a spoon to eat my yoghurt.

What the fuck was happening with my life.

I decided to call it a night.

I opened the bedroom door, making an effort to be as quiet as possible. Em was sitting on the left side of my bed, scribbling something in her notebook.

"Hi." I said quietly.

Em smiled and continued to draw into her notebook. "Hi."

"I thought you were tired." "I am. But I need to get this done." she replied.

I walked towards her and snatched her notebook from her. "Go to bed!" I said, smiling.

Em tried to grab her notebook, but she was too short. All her hands could reach was my wrist.

I closed her notebook and put it on my desk. She tried to make a dart towards it, but I tackled her onto the bed.

For a few seconds we were just lying there laughing, and then I got up. "Alright, I'm gonna go and get a mattress."

—[•~]—

Shortly after that I was lying on the floor, half-way into my lesbian cave, and Em was lying on my bed, still sketching.

I turned off the light.

"Rose! I need to draw!" "Em! I need to sleep!"

She would never have admitted it, but she was definitely grateful, because 3 seconds later she was asleep.

I just lay there staring at my family photo.

"Do you miss him?" Shit, I didn't know. He could be fun, but there were days when he would go out with his friends and come home drunk and high. And that had scared me.

And those days turned into months when he was without my mum.

But the last time I had seen him he had been nice. Nice after endless weeks of yelling at my mum, getting drunk and taking drugs.

—[•~]—

I was seven years old, standing at the counter, chopping up vegetables. Mum was asleep with the baby, so I was caring for my twin sisters.