Extra chapter: Diner in Provo

I sat down at the table I had booked.

Now he could either turn me down or grant my one last wish.

I sighed and looked out of the window.

And there he stood.

My son.

For one last time.

"Alex." I smiled.

"What is it, mum." He just said and sat down.

I smiled sadly. He still didn't like me.

"I want you to talk to me. I know your dad and I made a lot of mistakes, but I regret all of them."

"Mum, stop trying to make me hate your father and love you. Dad didn't do anything. He told me you did everything and he wasn't guilty."

I laughed. "Sure. Alex, I understand this is a difficult situation for you, and I don't want you to move to Utah with me. But you can join Rose and visit me at weekends or in the holidays."

Alex shook his head. I could see he was almost crying.

"I'm staying with dad. You can do whatever you want, I don't care."

"Alex, please listen. I never wanted anything bad to happen to you. I always cared for you."

"Oh yeah?" Alex yelled. "Then where were you when you were arguing with dad? You weren't listening to a thing I was saying. And tell me, where were you when my best friend went missing? You were next to her, taking her from all of us. You were never there for me, and so pardon me if I don't trust you any more."

Now I felt like crying myself.

Alex was right, and I was dumb never to notice it.

"I'm sorry. I really am. Which is why I want to change things."

"It's too late, mother. You had the power to change things my entire life. Did you ever try?" He stared at me.

When I said nothing, he laughed. "That's what I thought."

Alex got up.

"Until then, mother. Don't bother to speak to me again until you're ready to apologise."

And there I sat, in a diner in Provo, crying and asking myself one simple question.

What did I do wrong?

People change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. People aren't fast to forgive other people.

-[•~]-