• Chapter 19 •

(Emily POV)

I sat on the plane on my way to Provo.

The city my girlfriend used to live in.

Whenever she talked about it, she seemed to associate happy memories with the city.

So I tried to like Provo. Because she did.

Shit, I had never wished to be in her arms more than now.

I could almost smell her constant scent of apples.

I could almost feel her hand on mine, carefully hidden so no one would see.

"You really love her, don't you?" Rose's mum broke the silence.

"Yeah. I just wish my parents would accept us."

Lucy sighed. "Some people are taught to be homophobic. That's their parents fault, not theirs. No kid is naturally born with homophobia."

"Were your parents accepting?"

She smiled. "My father was always accepting of Rose. It was my mother that needed to learn it all again. She kept calling Rose out. So I told her she wasn't welcome unless she didn't talk about it and treated Rose like a person."

"That was very brave of you. I don't think I could do the same to mine." I looked out of the window. The clouds were blocking the view.

"Oh, I think you could. If I were you, I'd do it. I'd tell my parents either to accept me or not to bother ever trying to talk to me again."

"Well, you're a lot braver than I am. My father would slap me if I'd tell him that."

Lucy was silent for a while.

I mean I get it, it's not every day a grown man punches your daughter because she's gay.

We landed about half an hour later and made our way to the address.

It was an old renovated house, and it looked pretty big. I guess Rose's father had really kept his promise.

Lucy rang the bell on the gate.

The door opened and a man walked outside.

His hair was brown, turning white.

He was still tall, despite his age.

He was smiling, even when he saw his ex-wife.

"Hello Lucy, welcome back to Provo. What brings you here?"

"Is Rose here?" Lucy just asked.

"Rose? No, I haven't seen her since you left." The man answered surprised. "Unless this is her..." He said and pointed at me.

"No, that's Rose's girlfriend. We've been looking for her for a while, and we can't find her. Emily said you gave her an address the day we left, in case Rose would ever need you. So here we are."

The man looked surprised. "Well, since that moment I haven't seen her. I can offer you some freshly picked cucumbers though!"

He smiled at me, but I gave him an angry look. He couldn't trick me.

"No thanks, we'll probably just go back to Texas." Lucy said and turned around to leave.

"I've also got tomatoes!" Was the last thing I heard him yell.

—[•~]—