Billy & Courtney - Stargirl & Shazam

Thunder roared as lightning struck an alley behind the mall on a sunny cloudless day.

"Freak weather," muttered a passerby.

Courtney couldn't help smiling. Her date had just arrived.

"Court!" The cute skinny boy she'd been working with in her other identity made his way through the crowd with a bouquet of fresh flowers.

His brilliant blue eyes twinkled as he gave her a shy dimpled smile. "Sorry I'm late. Had to stop a giant robot on the way here," he grinned sheepishly as he handed her the pink roses.

"What's with the big red cheese and the giant robots?" Courtney's eyes danced as her braces peeked through her grin.

"Why does everyone call me a red cheese," pouted the adorable teen in his bright red sweater.

Taking the bouquet, Courtney pecked his cheek. "It's ok, little red cheese. Movie starts in a few." Leading him by the hand she weaved through the crowd to the popcorn stall. "Snacks are on me."

Jealous brown eyes followed the pair from a distance. He'd seen that boy before, at the Ultra Humanoid fiasco, back when he thought the Thunderbolt turned JSA's heavy hitter, Captain Marvel into a kid.

Billy tensed. His eyes darted around as if he could sense they were being followed.

"What's wrong?" Courtney tilted her head, her sunny eyes filled with concern.

Frowning, "Thought I saw..." Billy shook his head. "Just my imagination," as the pair disappeared into the cinema.

-------

Stars: I hate Algebra

BB: who doesn't?

Stars: Algebra makes me sleep. Test tomorrow

BB: what say we study together?

Stars: ok. I'm in Blue Valley library.

Thunder crashed seconds later.

A warm musky scent mixed with ozone embraced her as brilliant blue eyes lit up her day.

Her heart skipped a beat as the cute boy with an unruly mop of jet black curls sat beside her and held her hand.

"Algebra," she mumbled.

"I got cheat sheets, a quick and easy way to learn the basics," he smiled.

"How?" She tilted her head.

"Beautia," he grimaced.

"Who?" Jealousy surged through her.

"An old lady who has the hots for Captain Marvel, trying to get to him by tutoring me," he rolled his eyes.

"Huh?" She shot him a bewildered look.

"Long story. To get the school to let me work part time for Whiz, Mr Morris hired a private tutor to keep my grades up. Beautia Sivana got that job," he squirmed.

"Beautia Sivana, the supermodel beauty queen voted most desirable woman in America?" Courtney's jaw dropped, metallic braces glinting in the florescent light.

"That Beautia," Billy made a face. "That old lady," shrugged the teen as he wrapped his arm around her tiny waist.

"Let's go through these sheets. You'll ace the test when we're done," he gave her a lopsided, dimpled smile, as he tweaked her adorable nose.

-------

Captain Marvel cruised towards Blue Valley with a bouquet of sunflowers in one hand and a box of candy tucked under another. A big goofy grin lit up his chiselled face.

His keen eyes scoured the neighborhood. Certain no one could see him, he landed among some trees, laid down his gifts and whispered his word.

Lightning answered.

A young teen in a red sweater stepped out from the smoke.

Picking up the flowers and candy, Billy made his way to Courtney's home, heart thumping harder than when he had to face Darkseid.

To Courtney's family, he writes for Fawcett's school paper. She's a cheerleader from Blue Valley High. Their schools often compete.  They supposedly met during one of those games.

They had absolutely no idea he's her Justice Society teammate Captain Marvel.

The door open. A huge red haired man, her step dad, glared down at him. "Billy Batson?" He grunted.

Swallowing hard, Billy nodded and offered his hand. He could just imagine the man cleaning his shotgun.

The big man took the flowers and candy from him on Courtney's behalf.

"Stop scaring the boy, Pat," a tall blonde woman chided the man. That had to be Star's mom.

"He's a big teddy bear once you get to know him," she whispered to assure the boy.

Billy could see the resemblance. Letting out the breath he was holding, he peeked around Pat to look for Courtney.

"Billy!" Courtney squeezed past the adults and dragged him to the dining table. The smell of roast beef and potatoes had his mouth watering.

"So, you're a reporter?" Courtney's mum asked Billy amicably.

"Yes, ma'am," said Billy stabbing his fork into a slice of beef. The juice squirted out, hitting Pat in the eye.

"For the school paper and Whiz station part time," Billy continued, oblivious to Pat's glare.

"You cover the games between Blue Valley and Fawcett?" Asked Pat as he wiped his face.

"Yes, sir," came the chirpy reply.

"That's how you met?" Pat raised a quizzical eyebrow.

"How else?" Courtney interrupted.

"What are your intentions towards my girl?" Pat's eyes bored through the boy.

"Sir, Courtney is the sunshine of my life," he replied, glancing shyly at the blushing girl.

"Hurt her and you'll answer to me," Pat cracked his knuckles.

"I won't, sir," mustering the courage of Billy, the teen met Pat's stare with a sunny one of his own.

"We're going to catch the movie,"  Courtney cut in.

"Bring her back by 10pm, latest," said Pat as Courtney grabbed Billy's hand and pulled him through the door.

"Do they know about Stars?"  Billy whispered as they slipped out of sight.

"Pat does, mum doesn't," came her reply. "Let's fly there."

"Ok. Shaz.." Billy braced himself for the lightning strike.

Courtney covered his mouth. "Not as the old geezer," she chided.

"What old? You're three whole months  older than me," retorted Billy, pretending to be offended.

"I want my cute skinny boyfriend with me, not the big red cheese," she laughed as she took out her cosmic rod.
"Hop on," she patted on the seat behind her.

He climbed onto the cosmic rod behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Hold tight," she warned as they sped into the clouds.