Family Stays Together

--- Ten years ago ---

Talky Tawny's mine!" The little boy pulled the stuffed tiger from his sister.

"Momma gave him to me!" the girl yanked it back.

"He was mine first!" Screamed the boy.

"No, mine!" Shrieked the girl.

CC Batson wrapped his arms around Billy while Mary found herself in Marilyn's embrace.

Gently and firmly, patient parents pulled the fighting children apart.
"Mister Tawny is meant both of you to share," said their father as he playfully tickle-wrestled his son.

"We've been meaning to give this to you after the trip but," Marilyn glanced at her husband who nodded at her with a smile.

She took off her locket. It had hinges on both sides. Opening up from the center, it revealed a porcelain picture of the four of them.

Their mother pulled the locket into two halves. One with the photo of Billy and his father, the other with Mary and her mother and gave a half to each child.

The children brought their halves together and the locket snapped to form a whole, the magnets keeping it intact.

"Families stay together," their father beamed at them with his dazzling dimpled smile.

That was the last gift his parents had given him before their fateful trip. He stayed behind with Uncle Eben because the school demanded he attend classes during the holidays because of his poor results.

They promised to return soon but they were killed there. Mary's body was never found.

--- Billy's seventh birthday ---

"Happy Birthday brat," sneered Uncle Eben. He raised his hand. Billy ducked.

Ebenezer Batson was in an excellent mood. His lawyers were successful. Billy's inheritance was entirely in his name. He had no use for the brat.

"I'm feeling generous today so I got you a birthday present." The miser's face gleamed suspiciously with mirth.

Behind him was a worn out suitcase, stuffed with
some of his clothes,
his stuffed tiger,
a cheap bar of soap, toothbrush and toothpaste because cleanliness is godliness
and Billy's school books Ebenezer had no place for.

He handed the suitcase to Billy, shoved him out of the house and locked the door.

"Uncle Eben, where am I going to sleep? This is my parents house!" Billy frantically banged the door.

"Not anymore. It's mine. You're not my problem either," snapped Eben
"Now get lost or I'll beat you to death," snarled the man.

What a birthday.

His family -  gone.

Thrown out of his home.

Dabbing his wet eyes, Billy carried his belongings and searched for somewhere he could spend the night.

He still had a glimmer of hope that kept him going.

In his heart, he felt. No, he knew his twin sister, Mary was alive somewhere.

-------

"I searched for Mary for years, Court," Billy fiddled with his half of the locket.

"Mr Morris used Whiz network resources to search too but it's like she vanished without a trace."

He showed her the picture in his half. "Chubby cheeked Billy at six, so vibrant and happy, with his dad, a dead ringer for Captain Marvel."

"Any photos of her?" Courtney tilted her head.

"All with Uncle Eben," he frowned. I bet he doesn't even bother with them.

Courtney tenderly held his cheeks and gazed into his watery eyes.

"That was a long time ago, Court. I'm ok now. I got you," he crumbled into her embrace.

"One thing led to another. Ultimately, if all this never happened, I would never have met you," Billy forced a smile.

--- ten months after his ninth birthday ---

Sun's rising. Time to get ready for school.

In Fawcett, public schools were free. Lunch was also provided for.

That one free meal a day kept Billy alive... That and the errands kind strangers let him run for pocket money or free food.

He cleaned up at the public wash room as best as he could.

Then he hid his belongings in the fire escape he slept at which no one ever used and hopped onto the free school bus, going through classes for the sake of his daily meal.

He couldn't help thinking about the weird dream he had.

Some really old guy said he was pure of heart and worthy of powers to protect those who can't help themselves.

That weird word kept popping up in his head. "Shazam."

He shook it off, as he sat through his lessons, ate half his lunch and hid what could be kept in his bag for a meal later.

School's out.

He went to the park's drinking fountain to freshen up.

That word again.

"Shazam," he mumbled.

Blinding light as he felt something electrifying strike the top of his head.

Incredible energy coursed through him.

He felt his mind expand and body swell up.

Light-headed, he staggered and bumped into a huge tree.

It snapped in two and fell over.

Horrified, he caught it instinctively.

That enormous oak tree felt as light as a feather.

"Holy Moley!"
A deep voice resonated.

His voice.

An adult man's voice, not an nine year old's.

He looked at his hands.

They were huge.

His arms were heavily muscled...

He looked at his reflection in the lake.

Staring back at him was his dad with Superman's physique clad in... a red monkey suit?

The word.

Was that it?

"Shazam?"

Lightning struck.

Billy was himself again.