Suspicious Minds

Alarms shrieked.

There had to be at least thirty men in ski masks. All carrying machine guns, charging into the Blue Valley bank.

A girl with a golden staff flew in. She rooted herself between the panicking folks and the armed men. Her golden hair gleamed beautifully in the light of her cosmic rod as she projected a force field shielding innocents from the flying bullets.

Through the windows, lightning split the clear blue sky as thunder roared.

A red blur streaked through the door and in the blink of an eye, the armed men were piled in an unconscious heap, now unarmed. Beside them was a neat pile of crushed metal that had seen better days as guns.

"Ma'am, are you ok?" Said a tall, heavily muscled, red suited man as he helped a young woman to her feet.

"My hero," she slung her arms around Captain Marvel's neck and kissed his lips.

"Holy Moley!" The muscular man's face turned as red as his suit, "ma'am, no, please..".

He squirmed out of her embrace. "Please call the police to collect them," he gestured at the unconscious human pile as he backed off.

More women closed in on him like predators. The big blue eyed raven backed off, appearing to hide behind the teenage blonde heroine who by then was glaring daggers at him.

Jealousy?

"Marvel, we're late," Stargirl shot back at him as she flew off with her cosmic rod , Captain Marvel sheepishly tailing her.

-------

Captain Marvel leaned back into his heavily reinforced chair in the Watchtower as his visitors made themselves comfortable on his massive shoulder.

A tiny white mouse spread a colourful picnic mat over his shoulder while a tiny brown mouse lugged a miniature picnic basket filled with chocolate, peanut butter, grains and seeds up his ridiculously muscled arm to join her.

"Should I go?" Captain Marvel asked his mouse detective buddies. "It's a no uniform, civilian clothes formal party."

"Is she going?" Joey, the little brown mouse peeked over the chocolate raisin he was nibbling to look The Captain in the eye.

Cap's cheeks flushed pink.

"I take it as a yes," Sophia, the little white mouse smiled sagely at him, showcasing her pearly white front teeth.

"I don't have formal civilian clothes that fit me like that," he gestured to his huge, overly muscular physique.

"Pish posh. We can make you an outfit in no time," grinned Sophia. The little mouse dived into the vent and emerged with a measuring tape, followed by a small army of mice carrying fine cloth, needles and thread.

"Now how do you get these bracers off?" Joey tugged at the golden bands around Marvel's arms with both his paws.

-------

Everyone looked very different at this no-costume surprise birthday party for Hawkman. The entire restaurant was reserved for the JSA event, using Terrific's civilian credit card.

Marvel showed up in a brown suit, dress shirt and tie and looked extremely bored at the table until a walking ray of sunshine lit up the room.

"Marvel!" Stargirl squealed delightedly as she strode across the room, making a beeline for the handsome hunk.

"Stars!" His entire face lit up as he gazed starry eyed at the teenaged beauty.

The pair, known to be good friends seemed a little too friendly. One might think that the man in his prime and the teenage girl were enamoured with each other.

Jay shuddered as the implications would be unacceptable. Marvel, looked like he was at least twenty-five. Courtney just turned sixteen. He had to be mentoring her, as a father figure, perhaps?

Now seated opposite each other, the pair engaged in animated conversation. They seemed to shut out the rest of the world.

Jakeem had approached him privately to tell him that the pair was dating. Back then, knowing Jakeem's crush on Courtney, he brushed that off, but now...

-------

The mission in Kahndaq took a big toll on all of them. Courtney used to be very close to Al. Now that he decided to stay in Khandaq siding the murderer's team. Courtney was devastated.

She rested her head on Captain Marvel's lap as he tenderly stroked her hair, whispering words of comfort to her. Their body language was that of lovers, not friends.

Ethics.

He would risk losing JSA's heaviest hitter if that's what it takes to keep his young charges safe and to protect JSA's reputation.

He'd have a private chat with Captain Marvel.

-------

"Marvel, we have to talk, privately."

Captain Marvel bristled at the tone of Flash's voice. "Sure."

Looking around to ensure no one was within earshot, "Marvel, I hate to pry, but what is your relationship with Stargirl?"

"She is a fine young lady," he replied.

"Jakeem says you two have been dating," Jay continued.

"Jakeem's jealous. He likes her," Marvel answered warily.

"What is she to you?" Flash asked again, trying to broach the subject diplomatically.

"I care about her," Marvel looked him in the eye, "a lot."

"When you are together, your body language says you are more than just friends," Flash pressed on.

Captain Marvel, looked away.

"Captain, she is sixteen. How old are you? Twenty five? Older? It is not acceptable," Flash's agitation showed in his voice.

Captain Marvel looked Flash squarely in the eye. He made his decision.