58

Jaxon

Ethereal.

That's the word I wrote to describe Luna in her birthday card and it's the only word swimming in my mind right now. There aren't enough words in any language to tell her how gorgeous she looks. Every inch of her is screaming for me to take her in my arms. But I can't and it kills me.

I focus my thoughts on Corey beside me instead of Luna in front of me. Even if her eyes watch me carefully.

When I woke up this morning, I had no idea that I'd be here right now. Corey had found me after school, he told me to pick him up at a certain time. He said he had something to give me from Luna. I decided to go since Luna's my weakness, and I'd take anything she had to give me—even if it was passed on to Corey Stone himself.

"So? Where is it?" I had asked when he hopped in my car. I made a mental note to disinfect Sirius after Corey left.

"I lied." Corey said plainly. "I don't have anything."

"Then why am I here, Stone?" I rolled my eyes. "I have better things to do than sit around here talking to you."

"Sorry, I thought you wanted to hang out," he said dryly. "Just shut up and listen, Gray."

I had rolled my eyes again. An automatic reaction that happens when he's near me.

"I've been thinking about something, and I need an answer," he said. "Why would you play Luna? It wasn't to get to me because there are easier ways to get under my skin. And I don't think you would've kept it a secret for that long if it was to get a ride out of me."

"It wasn't a game to me. She helped me get back on the football team 'cause she's just selfless like that, and then we just sort of—" I had cut myself off and groaned. "I don't want to talk about this with you."

"And I don't want to hear it. But she's my sister so we're both going to suck it up and you're going to tell me."

My jaw clenched, but there I sat telling the whole story between Luna and I—minus a few private details. It was uncomfortable and I wanted to die every minute of it, the memories sucked to recount knowing they weren't going to happen again, but I did it anyway.

Luna would've wanted me to play nice.

"Okay," he said the second I finished talking. "Stay at school after your game. Bring a...suit. I'll meet you after and you can talk to Luna."

"What?"

"I think Luna deserves better than you." He told me straightforward. "And she doesn't need more drama in her life. But she...likes you, apparently. And like I said, she's my little sister. I'll help you this one time. Never again. I'd rather set myself on fire."

I had stared at him in disbelief, and he proceeded to threaten me with bodily harm if I ever hurt her again. I believed him since I still have bruises on my face. My eye isn't swollen shut anymore, but it's still sort of bruised.

"You know, Stone, when you keep your hands to yourself, you aren't half bad." I told him when he opened my car door to leave.

"Well, you are." He slammed the door shut, and I lowered the window.

"I take it back! You're worse!"

He smirked and walked away. I couldn't remember why we stopped being friends when we were kids. Maybe one of these days I'd ask him.

Now he looks at me with those piercing grey eyes. He's almost daring me to mess this up and make him look like a fool. But nothing is worth doing if it means losing Luna again, not even messing with Corey Stone.