Chapter 4

The next Monday at school was horrible for Niel. He liked to move around like a shadow throughout the school. He was never seen but you knew he was there. But now, after the game, everybody knew about him being benched.

Nothing happened in this small shitty town, so when there was gossip people would eat that up and keep talking about that little piece of disgusting information until they got bored of it, which would take normally a long, long time. They would chew it, chew it, and chew it. Spit it out and eat it right back up until there was no flavor left anymore.

Whispers followed Niel the whole day much to his dismay. He just wanted peace and quiet, especially after such a horrible weekend. His limp didn't help him much either. Making him even more visible to his peers.

Niel's injury gave the others only more to chew on. Some were saying he tried to hurt himself, or even kill himself. Others said Niel tried to get an injury on purpose, so it wasn't his fault a soccer career was off the table. The stories were wild and they got even wilder. Teenagers didn't have anything better to do than keeping their filthy noses in other people's shit.

Niel had already expected this, the halls filled with whispers of gossip and untrue rumors. When he looked at his Instagram last Sunday evening he had already read the comments on his latest picture. Niel wasn't the type to keep himself busy with social media but both Lucas and Arabella insisted two years ago making an account and Lucas made sure Niel kept his account up to date. So before the game, there is a photo moment and Lucas forced Niel to post it. Well, forced sounds dramatic, strongly encouraged was maybe better phrased. And deep down Niel liked the likes and kind comments. Throughout his life, he never got many compliments so hearing some encouragement was nice once in a while. Until yesterday.

@Rose_Anne WTF was that game?

@PrinceWilliamLOL Yeah you really sucked at that game...

@Bella2003_ Get off the team!

@$tanrichman18 Off the team!

@CatVonB Get #Nielofftheteam

@BlueWaters #Nielofftheteam

@Social$uck$ #Nielofftheteam

@FlowerDaisy You weren't bad the first half

Niel sighed as he saw he had another notification from Instagram. All he wanted was for the day to end. The universe didn't let him, however. Daisy had followed him all day, before classes, during lunch break and now he was ready to go home and everybody else stood at their lockers to get ready to go home or to Mills. This meant Daisy was there as well just like everybody else. To see the most awkward and humiliating scene ever possible.

Whispers surrounded them. "Look, look she is exactly gonna do it."

"Oh shit."

"What does she see in him? He is sooo- hush they can hear you."

"Oh, I am gonna film this shit."

Niel screamed inside his head for Daisy to piss off, to leave him alone so they could both be spared from the humiliation that was about to take place.

"H-hey Niel." The girl stuttered.

Snickers were heard through the hallway.

"Hey, Daisy. What do you want?" Niel knew it was rude the way he spoke to the innocent junior, but he wanted this to be done and over with.

"Oh, I-uh, uhm... I just wanted to tell you that I still think you are a good s-soccer player and that they shouldn't k-kicked you out."

Niel clenched his fists. He was done being reminded the whole day he wasn't playing anymore. But what pissed him off, even more, was the fact people were thinking he was kicked out of the team.