Chapter 19

During dinner, the soccer game was all everybody could talk about. Niel felt great pride as some of the pack members never spoke of him, not even wanting to look at him merely because he was human was now agreeing with the compliments that were shared about their teamwork.

Niel didn't listen for long as he realized he needed to come to terms with the fact he wasn't ever going to play soccer pro. He had already gone through these emotions when he was benched, but then he still had a small sparkle of hope. Now he knew that sparkle was burned out and he had to give it a place, so he wouldn't bottle up frustrations and anger. This was his life now.

The past weeks were one of the most terrible ones he had ever experienced, apart from the death of his brother. And Niel didn't want to live in that depressing state of mind anymore. But it was hard. He could still feel the rush of the game they had played just over an hour ago.

Niel was brought back to reality by a soft touch of Atlas. The Alpha had put his hand over Niel's and softly caressed it. He could see his mate struggling in his head. "Everything all right?"

The teenage boy nodded his head. As he wanted to continue eating he noticed the hand of the Alpha laying on his own. Niel was surprised. He didn't despise Atlas' touch as he thought he would do. Also, their skin touching was a weird sensation. Tingling. Niel took Atlas' hand in his own and felt the sensation spreading. It gave him a sense of... home.

When Niel noticed he was holding the Alpha's hand he quickly let go, a slight blush spreading over his cheeks.

Atlas couldn't help but chuckle. He was delighted by the curiosity of his mate. He knew the mark enhanced the mate bond and knew as well that Niel would feel a stronger pull towards him as he already did for Niel. "It's all right, you can hold my hand." The teenager ignored the Alpha and continued on with his eating.

Niel rushed three bites into his mouth when he thought about how much he had eaten that day. Midway through his fourth bite after his embarrassing moment, he stopped. Maybe he had enough, the teenager thought. Maybe he should work out after this.

Atlas noticed Niel abruptly stopped eating. He grew concerned but didn't want to overstep to push his mate further away from him. Carefully he said, "If you want more you can, there is enough."

Niel hummed. "I am full though."

Atlas looked at him skeptically, he knew humans ate less than werewolves did, but wasn't it too little what Niel ate? He shook the thought away. Niel knows how much he needs, the Alpha thought.

That evening Atlas stood more or less awkwardly on the threshold of his own bedroom, of their bedroom. When the teenager noticed him he tilted his head and looked at him skeptically. Niel didn't know if he was ready to be so close so soon, alone.

"I was wondering if I could sleep here again."

Niel took a step back, "What if... what if you lose control like last time?"

"I won't, I promise,"

Niel quirked up a brow. "How can I believe you?"

"The only thing that I can say is that because you are marked I don't have that animalistic urge anymore to claim... what is mine. But that is a rational answer. My other answer is that I never meant to hurt you and I never, ever, want to go through that again."

Niel stayed quiet, pondering over the words that were just spoken.

"Also, I slept terribly the last two nights and I bet you did too."

Yes, of course, the teenager thought. He blamed his lack of sleep on the traumatic events, what else could it even be? But what Niel didn't know was how he was marked the bond between them started to grow, and especially in the early days of creating the bond mates crave for one another, and need to be close to one another.