Chapter 18

For two days the two mates didn't see each other, both hidden away in the pack house. The pack members could feel the tension between the two and everybody hoped everything would turn out well. It wasn't often human mates wouldn't work out because of each other differences and when it did, it didn't matter most of the time because the pack member in question hadn't an important position.

It wasn't only difficult for the pack members. Both Niel and Atlas could feel the pull between them two. The mark was the start of completing the mate bond and it forced them to want to be close to one another, but the irony was that they couldn't, well, Niel didn't want to be close to Atlas.

Although the words of Katherine did linger with the teenager. The past two days Niel came to the realization that all this madness was real and it had become his life. There was no way out anymore, no way back to his hometown, his school, his family.

Maybe the former Luna would be right and would things turn better if he just spend time with the Alpha. Maybe he will like Atlas then. The big guy had shown he was capable of loving and caring. But then again he wasn't gay. Niel didn't like boys, men.

It was all still very confusing for the teenager, but he could at least try to be friends with Atlas, so his life wouldn't be as miserable as it was the past weeks. Niel took a quick hot shower, put on some fresh, clean clothes, of which the shirt belonged to Atlas. The teenager hadn't any clean clothes anymore and he had found the smallest shirt that the werewolf owned and put it on. It looked still oversized on him, but fashionable oversized and not a toddler wearing his father's shirt like all the other shirts had done to him.

The guard that stood in the hallway was startled by the teenager as he hadn't left in a while. Niel moved around the packhouse quickly now he knew his way and finally after asking he found the Alpha outside talking to Levi and Ezra as the three watched over the training grounds, looking at the warriors who were busy training.

Atlas immediately turned around when he got a whiff of his mate's smell. A small smile settled on his lips when he saw Niel was calm and seemed not to be in any distress. "Hey Niel, how nice to see you," He greeted softly.

Levi and Ezra bowed their heads first towards Niel and then excused themselves while bowing their heads again to Atlas. "Hey... I hope I didn't interrupt anything."

"Oh no, it was just some quick business."

Niel was glad he chose to find Atlas before the big guy found him. Now they both could stand in a public space and if something went wrong Niel wouldn't be alone as then. Glancing at Atlas caused the memories from three days ago to resurface in his mind. A shiver ran down his spine.

Atlas noticed the space Niel let in between them and he couldn't blame his mate after everything that occurred. "How... how are you?" He asked carefully.

"Fine, I think."

Atlas nodded his head, finding his next words. "I would like to apologize for what happened... I am sorry. I should have never done that to you and there was and is no excuse for my behavior."

Niel was taken aback by the sudden and sincere apology. He didn't expect it, at least, not so soon. He had heard some explanations from Rain, something about a full moon and me needing to be more submissive because of the beast that lived inside Atlas, but the Alpha didn't speak of any of them. He took full blame.

And Atlas knew how badly he had behaved. First, he thought what he had done wasn't as severe as everybody made it seem, but after he talked to his cousin he slowly started to realize the damaged he had caused.

It was also never his intention to hurt his mate, he just needed Niel to listen to him because the only thing he wanted to do was to care for him, to love him.